3DCoat Forums

Sharpening cuts after UVs? Too small?

justincrowell

Hi all,

This is another question where I'm struggling with workflow.  I built a complex model in Cinema4D that is designed for subdivision.  there are a lot of really fine sharpening cuts.  These make it somewhat difficult to build the UV set for, as I have to zoom way in to get exactly the right edge.  Would you suggest doing those sharpening cuts once I've exported from 3DCoat?  Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Thanks!

Justin

Well, basically, the model is done.  As is, when I bring it into 3DCoat, it's really hard to work with, because those sharpening cuts are so close the actual edges.  I COULD dissolve those cuts, and bring it back into 3DCoat again. 

But yeah, I guess my question is about what the best practice is.  Is there any downside to adding those cuts after I've done the UVS and texturing?  I have had some difficulty with subdividing in C4D after I've UVed/textured in 3Dcoat, and I'm just wondering if I should expect similar problems.

• Advanced Member

That depends on the nature of your problems with subdividing, I'd say.

Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference aside from you having to add your support loops again. 
Not having experience in Cinema and little in 3d Coat and depending on the number and density of your cuts, I'd probably still try to make the UVs in 3d coat, and experiment with navigation options like different rotation centers etc. (In the camera rollout at the top right of the viewport). If you pick a corner and zoom in, you should be able to pick three edge loops pretty quickly. You could use the shortcuts for framing the object (shift a) and zooming in on the area under the brush (shift z)
In Cinema you probably could do the same, though, and maybe split the shells more easily by angle etc. (3d coat has automatic unwrap modes, too, that might give you a good starting point with an angular model.)

Edited by Findus

It is difficult to advise without seeing the complexity of the model, but begin with sharp seams and adding those cuts after the UVS and texturing can help.

Drawbacks are normal angles needed for good baking process, add those sharpening cuts before can modify the result.

I hope this article clarifies some points

A Practical Guide On Normal Mapping For Games

SharpSeams.jpg