3DCoat Forums

Lost - Texturing High Poly to Low Poly & all the stuff created....

Kierab

Hi all,

I am trying to create assets to use in Second Life - which means taking my very high poly items and creating low poly versions of them, with all the textures baked on and whatnot*.  Unfortunately I am not finding tutorials to help me figure this work flow out properly.  I do not know what to do with the paint objects and texture layers created during the texture baking process.  And if I wish to create multiple texture sets for the objects (other colors, same item).  The textures output do not have the lights/highlights baked on and the textures do not seem as smooth as they should.  Overall I am not satisfied with the results I am getting and I do not know what to do about it. Can anyone suggest info sources that would help me figure this out? Thanks.

*Second Life does not have a proper PBR rendering system, so it is necessary to get the specular highlights and bump/shadows baked onto the diffuse where possible to ensure that everyone can see your object properly whatever their graphic settings are.  I have been using Substance Painter with the "Baked Light Filter" to fake these highlights.  Is this even possible in 3DC or am I going to have to figure out an additional workflow to drag all this into SP?

ps- Just to be clear have the retopo process all figured out and I know what to do with the retopo objects to use them - it is the bit *after* that that is killing me.

Edited by Kierab

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Fluffy was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

While Second Life doesn't support PBR it does have support for normal maps and specular maps (as well as specular exponent and environment intensity), and since any baked lighting on the diffuse map would clash with the real-time lighting for anyone with ALM enabled I would personally avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.

If you want to export textures for use with Second Life "materials" then you'll need to create a new export preset using the export constructor (Paint Room > File > Export Objects & Textures).  Based on the information on SL advanced lighting and materials found here it should look something like this ...

3DCSLExportConstructor.thumb.JPG.9afe4861938f122d558e476b64fb67c1.JPG

If you don't want to use normal/specular maps you can bake a diffuse map using Textures > Texture Baking Tool, or if you want the color information of a single layer (or want to export to PSD format keeping all the layers intact) then you can do so via the Layers > Export > Color or All Layer Color options.

3D Coat does have a Light Baking Tool (it's the last option in the Textures menu of the Paint Room) but as far as I can tell it works on a per vertex basis rather than with low poly models (when I try using it on a low poly paint object the lighting seems to fade as it gets further from each vertex/UV), so you'd need to bake the lighting info to your original high poly sculpt (make sure you have Show Voxels in Paint Room enabled and turn off the visibility of all your paint objects), then use Bake Sculpt Mesh Update to Paint Layers option in the Retopo room Bake menu to transfer the resulting Direct Light Map to your low poly models while preserving any existing layers.

You may also want to take a look at the info in this thread Bake lighting to color.

Edited by Fluffy
wrong image
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...