3DCoat Forums

Alternate locations for documents folder?

online offworld

• Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

Congrats on the new release, I have a request to make regarding where 3D-Coat stores all its documents.

At the moment it seems to be hard coded to the windows user documents folder. 

This is actually a problem for me where I work (at a uni) because our computers are setup to use roaming profiles which are stored on the network and have limited space.

Could you please add an option to point 3D-Coat to a custom documents folder (i.e. for me it would be on D drive which is a second local hard drive in my computer).

On both Linux and Windows you can easily create a symbolic link to refer to another location, I hope this little trick will help you.

See more here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

Recently installed the latest V4.8.18 update & so removed the previous V4.5 that was installed.

Once again a new folder gets created for V4.8 within my Documents folder (happy with this location)

Unfortunately my Doc's folder now has multiple 3DC folders from past versions & each with an "Exchange" file containing nothing...

...my problem is that after deleting these old 3DC folders, each automatically reinstalls itself the very next time 3DC is launched.

Can anyone please advise how I can stop these old folders (even V3 version) from constantly repopulating my Doc's folder?

Or is my only option to totally clear everything 3DC related from my computer & start a completely fresh install??

regards Colin

Capture.JPG