3DCoat Forums

Sticky keys bug

nobackup

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

• Advanced Member

Sticky keys seems really buggy.  Often I will just tap a key to switch tools and 3d coat thinks I have activated sticky keys and it just reverts back to my last tool.  If I hold the button down, sticky mode works as intended, but it activates all the time when it shouldn't.  I wish I could just turn this 'feature' off, it is very annoying.  Is there a way to disable the sticky key feature, at least until the bugs are ironed out?

edit:  after some forum searching I found this thread

which describes the problem exactly.  However the solution is still unclear...uninstall and reinstall cleanly I guess? 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Not sure if it fits your working method or not, but it should work if you just tap the key/keys rather than hold them down.  Tapping should switch to that tool until you want to change to something else.

thanks for the reply Carlosan.  Tapping the key to change tool is my working method, but that doesn't work.  I know it should work, but it doesn't.  That's what I was trying to describe....a tap to change the key doesn't work, only holding down the key to go to 'sticky' mode will work.  For example, if I am using the move tool and want to tap 'w' for my pose tool, it simply won't work.  I need to hold the W key to use the pose tool, or select it by pressing the menu button.     That's why I was asking if there was a way to just disable the sticky key functionality. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The problem you face, is caused at simple New scene ?

Sounds like a bug, as I've never had anything like that occur. Sometimes closing the app > deleting the Options.XML file (MyDocs/3D Coat V4 directory) and re-starting the app fixes odd behavior, but that may not be the source of the problem.

Or before reinstall you have to delete your 3DCoat folders...delete the one in your program files directory and delete the 3DCoat folder in your my documents (you may want to backup a duplicate)...try that.

• Advanced Member
On 10/13/2017 at 4:25 AM, Carlosan said:

The problem you face, is caused at simple New scene ?

Sounds like a bug, as I've never had anything like that occur. Sometimes closing the app > deleting the Options.XML file (MyDocs/3D Coat V4 directory) and re-starting the app fixes odd behavior, but that may not be the source of the problem.

Or before reinstall you have to delete your 3DCoat folders...delete the one in your program files directory and delete the 3DCoat folder in your my documents (you may want to backup a duplicate)...try that.

Hi Carlosan,

yes, it happens with any scene - it starts off fine, then usually manifests within 5 - 10 minutes.  I deleted my options.xml, but it it seemed to have no effect.  I will try a clean install next and see if that helps.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

• 6 years later...
  • Solution
On 10/15/2017 at 10:42 PM, nobackup said:

Hi Carlosan,

yes, it happens with any scene - it starts off fine, then usually manifests within 5 - 10 minutes.  I deleted my options.xml, but it it seemed to have no effect.  I will try a clean install next and see if that helps.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

Is there any lag when you switch to some other tool? Maybe if lag exists it is counted as the 'delay' that activates sticky activity?

And yes, in 2024.08 I will add the option to turn off sticky.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...