3DCoat Forums

Multiple LODS needed - multiple retopo objects possible?

Kierab

I am making models for second life and to improve how gracefully things degrade I am trying to make four LODs of a column from high "up close with all the glorious details" to "squinting at it from waaaay far away" low.  I thought i was doing ok - had four retopo objects with the levels of detail I needed, but then I tried baking and everything went sideways the uvs all changed and didnt match up any more.  I had made the separate retopo objects by exporting and re-importing and reducing.  3DC seemed to be trying to use them all separately, I guess I was assuming it would bake to the one i had visible/selected, but that doesnt seem to be the case.  Is there some best practice method to make different LODs?

Hi Carlosan,  thanks, the thing is it tries to give each of the retopo objects its own part of the texture so they are not the same and they need to be exactly the same.  i finally just dragged the highest of the four into maya and did it by hand after baking in 3d coat.  its a bit of a pita but was the only way i could find that worked.  i was hoping perhaps there was some feature that covers mulitple lods.