3DCoat Forums

Hi all! (and Logitech G13 query/request)

sHAYM4N

Hi all, 3d Coat noob here.  I'm a freelance designer (2D and 3D) and came across 3DCoat in a tutorial yesterday.  Previously I've mainly used Sculptris, 3DSMax (a long while ago now) and trials with ZBrush.

Was always impressed with ZBrush's capabilities, but the web of UI has always put me off making the investment.  I understand it would all come second nature if I used it daily - but the nature of my work can mean I could be coding or working on anything else other than sculpting for days or weeks at a time.  So 3DCoat looked a great alternative, and took the plunge with the pro version yesterday.  Really impressed so far, and enjoyed using it so far

Have run through quite a few of the tutorials now and am trying to work it into my setup....

I now use a Huion GT220 V2 as my primary tablet, and also recently purchased a Logitech G13 to go with it (really helps with the hotkeys on one hand).  I've tried a few things, but the main problem I have at the moment is finding a decent solution for navigating without using the mouse.  I've tried assigning all 3 mouse buttons to the pen, but doesn't really feel that intuitive with the hover distance of the pen being quite low.

I was wondering if there was any support or way I could  use the G13's joystick as an analogue replacement for the mouse movement?  Can set a keycombo for pan etc.  I can set it to mouse mode which does actually work pretty well, but if the pen is within drawing hover they obviously clash with each other so can be a problem.  I've not seen any hotkeys for camera movement either to use other than the mouse and the keypad snappings.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution for this they could share or could it be a possible feature request to have an additional analogue set of controls hooks for a joystick?  Seen that 3D Mouse support is already available, but don't know if this could be piggybacked in anyway?

Thanks for any advice!

22404339_10155684039321678_462191803_o.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I think your best bet is to try and find a used 3dconnexion Spacepilot Pro on eBay or Amazon. You'll love it, I promise. It has an array of hotkey combinations at your fingertips, and all based on the app. It speeds up your workflow so much, because you are not having to constantly stop sculpting/painting/retopologizing > navigate > stop > navigate, a thousand times a day. You move the object with your off-hand, like it was in your hand and you can spin it while you are painting or sculpting. It really comes in handy when you are making spline strokes along a model. I've been using my SpacePilot for several years and use it with every 3D app. ZBrush is the only 3D related app that doesn't support it.

HI sHAYM4N

I have been using the G13 with 3D Coat  for the past two years and it is great, although I do use a Cintiq instead of a Huion and the Wacom pen button can be pressed in two directions.  Anyway, this is how I mapped the navigation controls:  

Wacom pen nip equals click, button is Right Click and button up is Middle Click

On the G13 I mapped the space bar to the big left side button by the joystick, and middle click to the lower button by the joystick

I use the left joystick direction for decrease brush radius, right joystick for increase brush radius

the rest of the G13 buttons you can hotkey as you know for any key in 3D Coat

In 3D Coat I use the 3D Coat custom navigation

Hope this helps you out and if you have any other questions about using the G13 with 3D Coat just ask.

As to the Space Navigator, that tool is amazing but considerably more expensive to the G13 however, if one is modeling professionally the time savings probably justify the cost.

Cheer

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks guys!  I actually went for a Space Navigator in the end, thought I would try it out.  Nearly sent it back the day after - but stuck with it and yeah learning to love it now.  Not ideal for everything when keystrokes are needed but for painting and longer sculpt sessions works a treat!  Will definately look at setting the G13 up still as well though as I think they should work pretty well together.  @EmperorHamHam your setup sounds very familiar, pretty much how I setup the joystick on Photoshop for brush size (though really wish it was possible to map it to opacity as well)

I have a follow-up question if you don't mind.

I actually want to use the joystick to rotate the model/mesh, is that possible? I know the spacepilot and navigator can do it because those are designed for 3D, but the G13 is for games that happens to work for other sort of app as well. So I'm hoping I can use the G13 for the same things as the navigator, for a fraction of the costs. G13 is 100 euro vs SpaceNavigator 130 euro but without all the extra buttons.