3DCoat Forums

Substance Painter Live Link (to Blender, Maya & Modo)

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

....IMO, this is a better option than trying to integrate 3rd party renders in 3D Coat. Because integration in Renderman, for example, leaves a LOT of limitations...such as no sequence/turntable rendering like the default 3D Coat render. No interactive mode. No shadow catching shader/material, etc. It's better to just streamline the process of getting content into apps like Blender, with material nodes all setup (using an Uber/Principled shader with relevant exported image maps already hooked up for the user).

• Like 1

Yeah this is the one big thing 3dC is really missing.  Why Allegorithmic  Stands out so much. They've got a Live Plugin to the main  CAD'S and GAME ENGINES plus the coolest thing they are giving there API out so anyone who wants to use it in there Software can.

If 3DCoat would have there own live Plugin for at least Unity, Blender, Unreal Engine, Godot. (Even if it would be a Paid Plugin for 50-100$ it would be a mega Win ) even if it were only for static meshes.

I think Renderman is great, but I think most of us would prefer ( URE4, UNITY and Blender.)  it would speed so much up! 

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, Speike-Styles said:

Yeah this is the one big thing 3dC is really missing.  Why Allegorithmic  Stands out so much. They've got a Live Plugin to the main  CAD'S and GAME ENGINES plus the coolest thing they are giving there API out so anyone who wants to use it in there Software can.

If 3DCoat would have there own live Plugin for at least Unity, Blender, Unreal Engine, Godot. (Even if it would be a Paid Plugin for 50-100$ it would be a mega Win ) even if it were only for static meshes.

I think Renderman is great, but I think most of us would prefer ( URE4, UNITY and Blender.)  it would speed so much up! 

There is a nice Unity plugin for 3D Coat, that is fairly close to the SP plugin, but it doesn't seem to update as fast. The 3ds Max applink is also very close to having that level of interaction, but you still have to go to the FILE Menu > Export each time, and it takes a minute or two to update. So, it's not as streamlined or quick to update, either.

Now that Blender has the Principled Shader, which can be the Uber shader to rule them all, it would be nice to have a live link to get updates to and from 3D Coat and Blender (has a massive community, so anything to help make 3D Coat more appealing to them, would be a boon for sales).

3 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

There is a nice Unity plugin for 3D Coat, that is fairly close to the SP plugin, but it doesn't seem to update as fast. The 3ds Max applink is also very close to having that level of interaction, but you still have to go to the FILE Menu > Export each time, and it takes a minute or two to update. So, it's not as streamlined or quick to update, either.

Now that Blender has the Principled Shader, which can be the Uber shader to rule them all, it would be nice to have a live link to get updates to and from 3D Coat and Blender (has a massive community, so anything to help make 3D Coat more appealing to them, would be a boon for sales).

I agree. A live link to Blender and the possibility's would be endless. A few years ago I had such a love hate for Blender, but now after using a fork. bforartists 

I gave Blender another chance and I am so happy I did. even if Maya/Max/C4D/Modo/Lightwave are more seen I never enjoyed using them in MAX I felt the best workflow 7years ago, now they feel all the same.

SideFx because it is node based by far very outstanding

As for Modeling Quick Sculpt 3dC, then for details zBrush, Retopo back in 3dC and PBR texturing too. For a quick render 3dC is great and Michael's Instant Light is getting there, but still feels like in beta : (

With blenders new Rendering Engine things are going to change for the System. So yeah Getting a live plugin from 3dC to Blend would be one Good ride. I still think adding it the way Allegorithmic  is doing it. Would be a very wise Step for "Pilgway"

No URE4 or Lumberyard or Cryengine.

Im sure for Max users this is Wicked and Unity great too, but shouldn't the rest be included as well? That is the one big reason why Substance is being used --API Live Plugin.  URE4 is all about realism and not just for games. Company's want the best of the best they do not want artificial.  ( think Volta Next gen #AR #VR )

If the mind is not ready to absorb it will be left behind. ever hear of Euclideon?? this is the big next step

19 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Because integration in Renderman, for example, leaves a LOT of limitations...such as no sequence/turntable rendering like the default 3D Coat render. No interactive mode. No shadow catching shader/material, etc.

I thought this was coming in the futur, isn't it ?

ATM I use 3Dc and Blender for look dev (so no retopo and no Uvs), it works pretty well, the only downside is that it make shading and texturing in 3DC kinda useless for me, the result is too different in blender. on the other side, I can really use renderman in 3dc either, there's no IPR and the result is too different from what I see in 3DC when I create a shader. Still, having a nice rendering engine is 3dc is pretty cool, I use it to do clay renders, while I'm sculpting. Substance does have Iray in it, so I can see the result without changing app every 2 secs (but Substance is a little different, it's a pure texturing app than could be amazing as a plug-in in others apps).

But what happened to the universal app link ? It could solve this problem.

Isn't Euclideon just basically voxel ?

22 hours ago, Mr.Panka said:

I thought this was coming in the futur, isn't it ?

ATM I use 3Dc and Blender for look dev (so no retopo and no Uvs), it works pretty well, the only downside is that it make shading and texturing in 3DC kinda useless for me, the result is too different in blender. on the other side, I can really use renderman in 3dc either, there's no IPR and the result is too different from what I see in 3DC when I create a shader. Still, having a nice rendering engine is 3dc is pretty cool, I use it to do clay renders, while I'm sculpting. Substance does have Iray in it, so I can see the result without changing app every 2 secs (but Substance is a little different, it's a pure texturing app than could be amazing as a plug-in in others apps).

But what happened to the universal app link ? It could solve this problem.

Isn't Euclideon just basically voxel ?

I have only used Substance in the past, Lately 3DC & Zbrush does the job.

The Cool Part with Substance integration with the major Engines/Renders in other words you are just tweaking the desired result down the pipeline. Especially if you are creating loads of Assets for games you see the live update all the time and you can quickly change the Style of how it looks. If not you would have to bake everything out over and over. So the workflow is damaged enormously. In my Perspective in almost Year 2018  and things should not take so long to get done :)   Yet still taking the time to do it right is still important ^^

About Euclideon. It is kind of Voxel.. More Cloud Voxels, but adding this in a Artists environment anything is Possible. While digging into this I see the it will take lots of PC power to use it Properly and everyone would have to have a mega PC to play, but soon this will take over and Polygons will no longer be used.. They are a small team and have already done the unexpected. Think AR/VR without a Huge Brick on your face :D  instead it is on a Mega Display PC etc.. In my opinion this is just the start and it is not slowing down. It is new so People are being very tense about it, but hey everyone freaked out about the telephone.. Look what we have now.. u know?