3DCoat Forums

Need some tips on Retopology of a complex object

Johngvc

Hey Guys !

I'm so happy to have the opportunity to ask you guys for help on this, I really want to improve on 3d coat. So, I made some models to apply for a spot as a 3d Artist on a HL episode 3 Fan project and I've manage to catch the attention of the devs, but they also asked me to show my retopology and texturing pipeline for the model I made (the APC). Do you guys have some tips on what pipeline I should go through? I've saw some videos and have a generally well view of AUTOPO and some knowledge of Manual retopology but I wanted some opinions as to how can I proceed to this process for this model.

The model is heavily Layered and have many holes and open spaces (as you can see on the renders), I kinda have some basic idea as how to proceed but I'm afraid to do something wrong. The main concern that I have is that I was sculpting without much care as to polygon density and my model kinda went out of control (52 Million polys) my PC slows a lot if I don't at least hide some of the parts is that normal?

Here are the pics, I hope you guys like it ! and Thanks for any kind of help !

Johngvc

P.S.: As a "Bonus" I attached a pic of one combine headcrab I made to apply for the project also (They had organic modelers thus the APC one was made), Do you guys think I can get in the project? Thanks !

Combine APC V1.0 back Left Side.png

Combine APC V1.0 back Right Side.png

Combine APC V1.0 back.png

Combine APC V1.0 front 2.png

Combine APC V1.0 front.png

Headcrab Front 2.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

In general, It's a good practice to try and keep the components of your models separated, as much as possible. If you keep everything modular, so that a complex model is essentially a bunch of simple shaped objects, you can use Auto-Retopo like a boss. But if you insist on trying to throw the whole thing at Auto-Retopo...which is just an algorithm, after all...you will have a lot of trouble trying to get the results you want. Keep things as simple as possible for the Auto-Retopo algorithm, and you'll tend to get better results.

• Like 1