3DCoat Forums

Do not understand paint objects and all the layers being created after baking

Kierab

Hi All,  I have been watching tutorials and everything and every one i have found seems to just gloss right over or ignore the fact that things are created when  you bake.  WHAT do you do with the paint objects and all those layers created?  It is really frustrating me because it feels like there is 10x more junk in my file than I need, either that or there is important functionality I am missing.  Help?

How do i strip all this crap out if I bake and realize I need to change something and do it again?

Also, is there way to set the fill bucket for texture to rotate 90 degrees? I tried setting it to uv since i have all the uvs turned the same way but then i get a smeary texture.  

When exporting to substance painter do i use the vox or the paint objects?

Edited by Kierab

When you are going to be painting on your model, you are using the paint objects.

This video covers the basics of how to import an object into the 3d Coat workspace. This covers how to import to the painting section of 3d Coat.

Even that tutorial, he just says "and here are your paint objects in the scene".  NOBODY explains what the heck that means. Is this just supposed to be *obvious* or am i being obtuse?  In the sculpt room its the vox and in the paint room its the paint objects?  Must I bake before I do any painting?

Could you explain a bit more on your workflow ?

ScrotieFlapWack:

3DCoat is fantastic for dealing with really big and I mean big models because it doesn't actually use polygons it uses voxels. One thing to note though is if you are going to be sculpting super detailed models in 3D - Coat I would suggest at least a minimum of 16GB of RAM. 3D - Coat is RAM heavy, more so than your other modelling applications.

A simple workflow from other app to 3DCoat would be to model your base mesh, no details, just the base mesh. Then bring it into 3DCoat (don't worry about UV'ing at this point) and then sculpt your super details for your model. DO NOT make big changes to the model, by that I mean don't make any changes to the topology of the model. Just sculpt in surface mode rather than voxel mode for your super details.

Once you are done then you are ready to bake and guess what, you already have your low poly other app to bake your super details onto. The usual workflow would be to import your low poly model into the 'Retopo' room in 3DCoat and then UV map the low poly. Once you have done your UV mapping you are ready to bake.

I am assuming that you want your model game ready?

If so then the above workflow is perfect but if you aren't worried about realtime rendering for games then go crazy with your model, you won't really need to bake anything, you can make your base mesh in other app and import that in to 3DCoat for voxel sculpting and then retopologize after your sculpting in the 'Retopo' room and UV unwrap from there. Then you are ready to paint/texture which can also be done in 3DCoat through the 'Paint' room.

I am still working on the workflow honestly.  I have done base low polys in maya and brought those in to work on. I have tried building the whole thing in 3d coat (a tree) and then retop out what I need. With the first I found that i had changed stuff enough that the low poly mesh didnt work anymore so I ended up retopoing anyway, but with some practice I may be able to smooth that process out.  The final goal is a second life ready object. 

My workflow is also complicated by the fact that anything over 1m cubed is a resource hog in game, so I need to keep the models in many little pieces that can be uploaded separately.  It is also limited to 1024x1024 textures.  I got the multiple uvs sorted so that isnt causing me too much trouble.

But where I keep struggling is the paint objects.  I do not know if I am not baking right or what but the paint objects never seem right, dark spots and stuff.  I have been struggling with getting the textures how I want them and so have been fighting with 3d coat to export to something i can take into substance painter (which i have had better luck with texturing).  I keep losing stuff in translation though and my frustration level is high.

I have actually watched most of those tutorials already but I have yet to have one where they really talk about the paint objects.  I do not know if they just assume you know this stuff, or if they simply arent that interesting or what.  The first one you posted i watched it and the guy said about one sentence about paint objects and moved right along.  Am I making more of them than they are?