3DCoat Forums

How to smooth text edges in Sculpt room

Metin Seven

• Advanced Member

Hi,

How can you achieve smooth curvature in the Text tool result (voxels or surface) ?

If you hit Apply in a layer with more than a million polygons, the text contours remain visibly jagged, like in a low-res voxel resolution.

Thanks,

Metin

• Advanced Member

Thanks @Carlosan.

I've tried Surface mode as well, but no matter how high the layer's resolution is, the actual text that's created retains a limited resolution, like a low-res voxel extrusion, resulting in jagged edges. See the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 15.24.25.png

Edited by Metin Seven

Thanks [mention=10142]Carlosan[/mention].
I've tried Surface mode as well, but no matter how high the layer's resolution is, the actual text that's created retains a limited resolution, like a low-res voxel extrusion, resulting in jagged edges. See the attached screenshot.
59ef3f66a05da_ScreenShot2017-10-24at15_24_25.thumb.png.eb77888f7cda95b56430a1efe64e81bf.png
Did you try different fonts?

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

Hi Chipp,

Nice to see you here as well. Thanks for your reply.

I've tried different fonts, ranging from Times New Roman to Impact. They're all vector fonts, so you'd expect them to translate smoothly to a high-resolution voxel layer.

Hi Chipp,
I've tried different fonts, ranging from Times New Roman to Impact. They're all vector fonts, so you'd expect them to translate smoothly to a high-resolution voxel layer.
Probably an issue with the spline conversion. Not at my computer right now. It obviously will work with imported OBJs so you may have to create fonts in something like MoI then voxelize.

Hi Chipp,
Probably an issue with the spline conversion. Not at my computer right now. It obviously will work with imported OBJs so you may have to create fonts in something like MoI then voxelize.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Chipp,

I'll use that workaround, no problem.

One more thing: the Transform Curve option doesn't seem to work here (I'm using 3D Coat beta 4.8.03 for Mac OS). If I check it, I'm still transforming individual points in stead of the entire curve. This goes for all curve-based tools (Curves tool, Text tool, etc.).

Edit — Sorry, my bad, you have to click once on a curve point to activate the transform gizmo, then you can translate the entire curve. Newbie struggles. :)

Edited by Metin Seven
Found out how Transform Curve works. :)

Thanks Chipp,
I'll use that workaround, no problem.
One more thing: the Transform Curve option doesn't seem to work here (I'm using 3D Coat beta 4.8.03 for Mac OS). If I check it, I'm still transforming individual points in stead of the entire curve. This goes for all curve-based tools (Curves tool, Text tool, etc.).
Probably worth filing a bug. I'm not on 4.8 yet.

• Advanced Member

Sorry, my bad, I just discovered you have to click once on a curve point to activate the transform gizmo, then you can translate the entire curve. Newbie struggles. :)

Edited by Metin Seven

I looked at it and it appears you really can't get perfect text in 3DC. Which actually brings me to an interesting point. 3DC is great for concept modeling hard surface models (hsm), or adding damage to existing hsm meshes. I ended up purchasing this course where I finally learned NOT to obsess over accuracy the way I do in MoI and other programs.

https://www.learnsquared.com/courses/intro-3dconcept

FWIW, the course is rather weak on actual tools and how things work. It's more focused on an 80/20 approach to visualizing objects. There are other courses out there which are fairly good on tools and basics, thought Carlson and the 3D Coat Youtube channel is superb!

• Reputable Contributor

A good alternative to the Text tool if you want to achieve really sharp accurate edges is to create a bitmap in Photoshop then load that using the Logo tool in 3D Coat (you'll need to load it into the Stencil Texture field, you can leave the Top/Bottom Texture/Bump Texture fields blank).

Example:

TEXT1_small.jpg.f7e037696f7d22ec6c3bb8ff68bf4d6a.jpg

The image needs to be reasonably high resolution to avoid pixelation (the original size used for the above image that was imported to 3D Coat was 2048x512 pixels).

3DCTextWithLogoTool1.thumb.JPG.52d7ac1f49e8a3a716a5348325cc7d1c.JPG

3DCTextWithLogoTool2.thumb.JPG.ce3943883969919203ffb2925f711146.JPG

As you can see from the above images the results are very clean and there are no lumps or jagged edges.

Be careful not to set your Image Size in Scene or Thickness values too high, as the resulting objects tend to be rather large and the process is quite memory intensive (it can also take a few minutes for 3D Coat to process the image and display the results depending on the resolution of your original image and the settings you use in the Logo tool window).

Edited by Fluffy
  • Like 1