3DCoat Forums

Retopo and UV rooms

Hammers

• Advanced Member

Working on a retopo->bake project. I autopo'd to get my medium poly mesh. I was working on the UV seams when I discovered a hole in the mesh. I went to the Retopo room, repaired the mesh, but the changes weren't propagated to the UV room.

So I thought I would try doing the unwrapping in the retopo room, after I discovered I needed to click mark-seams to reveal the UV tools.

After baking, I found that the bake was based on my partially made UV room UVs rather than the updated retopo room mesh.

Anyone suggest how best to handle this and similar situations? 

Thanks!

The UV tools in the Retopo Room are practically a mirror of those in the UV room.

UV's on a model in the Paint room are to be edited in the UV room.

UV's on a Retopo Mesh are done right inside that same workspace.

The first part of this video helps to explain that a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&v=L1IIbanmuhk

• Advanced Member

Further to this, I've now managed to bake the hair, and have unwrapped the head UVs in Retopo room and moved them to their own UV set. My understanding is this corresponds with the Surface Material.

But I still can't figure out how to get the retopo mesh converted into a paint object, other that the already existing one for the hair. Going round in circles, please excuse all my questions :huh:

EDIT: I found a way, only by baking both objects at once, which shouldn't be necessary, since it leaves less room for finessing bake settings. Does anyone know a way to successfully bake from Retopo->new Paint object when a different one already exists?

59fd91d6982f7_ScreenShot2017-11-04at8_05_48pm.thumb.png.f4e6693c8fe870fe2cbddc082d295057.png

Edited by Hammers

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still going round in circles a bit, but gradually figuring out the relations between rooms. Javis' video doesn't really mention building/editing retopo meshes based on sculpts, but ah well. Learning stuff is good.