3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Surface Studio - Surface Pen rotates view, doesn't brush ?

Hello team!  I'm hoping you can help. 

Using 3D Coat with a Surface Studio, and I am having some issues with the stylus. 

When I am in the Paint room, the stylus tumbles/rotates the view, instead of painting, and holding down the switch on the side for RMB, it paints sort of.  However, when I use the LMB on the mouse it works, and can navigate the viewport normally.  

Any indication what I'm doing?  Does this in both DX and GL version of the app.  

Chad

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 7:27 PM, Chadimus said:

Bump!  

Not sure if this is a Microsoft Issue, or a 3D Coat issue.  Anyone else with a surface device having this problem?  I tested this on a Wacom device, and couldn't replicate the issue.  

I'm having this issue as well(as I run a surface driver on a Samsung Notebook pro 9). This happens in any room within the program ever since the 4.8 upgrade.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, SERGYI said:

Please download this standalone test application:
http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/Tests/3D-Coat-Pressure-Test.zip
This application is the engine of "Tablet Pen" input used by "3D-Coat". Using key [1] and [2] switch between two tablet libraries: "WinTab" and "Tablet PC" (selected library name is shown in the low left corner in yellow). Currently "3D-Coat" uses "WinTab" which will work only if you will install Wacom "WinTab" driver. Please report what do you see when using "Tablet PC" library which should work without additional Wacom "WinTab" driver. Pressing with pen should show "Left Tablet Button" with "Pressure = xxx"  (on moderate touch about 300, on hard touch around 600). Please report me directly on my e-mail "support DOT linux AT 3dcoat DOT com".

Unfortunately the Fall Creators Update changed a lot of things for a lot of people. Quite a lot of posts about on MS forums and elsewhere. Seems that pen inputs are now being recognized as fingers. Which is definitely not what we want for 3DCoat or any other professional use. Part of the beauty of touch and pen interfaces is that they are different. In fact, it's what sold me on not only 3D Coat but also buying a Surface product. I wrote MS a message about it. Hopefully they change the behaviour since I don't think any "pro" user wants their pen inputs to behave this way. Weird (and major) change on MS's part.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, emkay said:

In fact, it's what sold me on not only 3D Coat but also buying a Surface product.

In the nearest "3DCoat" build for Windows the gestures will be supported in "Tablet PC " mode. The video below demonstrates "3DCoat" in "Tablet PC" mode on "Surface Pro":
http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Video/3DCoat-TabletPC-Gestures.mov
The build "4.8.34" with gestures will be here:
https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22364-3dcoat-48-beta-testing-thread/

• 2 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Surface Studio - Surface Pen rotates view, doesn't brush ?