3DCoat Forums

Connecting / Bridging planar edges?

kwhali

In the sculpt room with Surface mode, I imported a mesh(too high for retopo room), there is a long line that is pretty much like a ring cut out, like a hole but with a surface within that hole. Close hole and other tools that would usually work in this case have trouble due to the extra surface within the "hole", how does one repair this? I have not had much luck with bringing the vertices together and welding/merging them.

Some sort of way to pull verts/edges(pose tool or move seem to sort of work for this) then get the edges from both sides connecting(doesn't seem to be a snap/weld verts that works?) and flattening them in some way that they could combine into a planar surface, then repeating this to manually repair? Most of the approaches seem possible in the retopo room, any reason they're not available for Sculpt room? I noticed some brushes/tools have a real-time detection merge option but this didn't seem to work. My current solution has been adding a primitive cube that's been scaled and positioned to bridge the two sides, boolean add, tangent smooth to flatten it, deleting the sides of the bridged surface, and relaxing/remeshing the bridging surface(start/end have denser topology from flattened sides). If I repeat that process I can have better luck with tools for closing/patching the holes as it is more recognizable as a hole(doesn't handle it well if there are angles to the hole).

I have gone into retopo room and drawn low poly bridging with points snapping to surface mesh. Used geometry menu to send retopo over then increased res and added thickness(which went below the flat surface, did a merge sub-tree and the extended thickness below was removed and the bridging model booleaned in properly. Little bit of cleanup, but overall better than cube primitive approach :)

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Adding an image would help to be able to give a better opinion about your workflow.

I will provide one later today hopefully. I notice tweak room have some features that would help but I don't know how to get the sculpt sure into there, didn't have luck with Google. It'd be great if the tools there were surface brushes.

Imagine two planar strips, no thickness, one sided, so suited as surface not voxels, then you want to connect them like you could during retopo between two strips. I need to weld/merge the vertices of the edges or add extra geo to connect them while keeping surface planar(easy to test on a cube with deleted faces to split it in half, our mesh data is detailed with noise like dirt, so not entirely flat.). So far using Boolean add and clean clay + other tools has worked best with least problems.

Your task sound more as hard surface modeling that sculpting. If is a base mesh, Retopo room is more suited for that task.

You can use Bridge tool -in Sculpt room-

or -as you said- import the model in retopo room, connect them and use the coomand RetopoR -> SculptR

Retopo to Sculpt.jpg

Bridge.jpg

Take UVRoom and Tweak Room as extensions of Paint Room, that 3 rooms are interconnected.

After Sculpt you retopo in Retopo room, bake there to Paint room, modify any shape using Tweak room or UVs in UV room -if necessary- and export your final product.

3DC workflow1.jpg

3DCworkflow3.jpg