3DCoat Forums

Symmetry. Stop tools affecting both sides near symmetry plane

Robert_D

Hi, trying to figure out how to stop tools from affecting both sides of the symmetry plane when your close to the symmetry plan. Example:

Move tool.

Say I've got two spheres close to the symmetry plane. I want to move/stretch the left edge of the right sphere, left towards the symmetry plane. But since the brush also goes over the opposite sphere it also affects it and the move tool essentially moves/stretches left and right at the same time due to the move tool and symmetry with nothing really happening.

Screen Shot 11-22-17 at 02.24 PM.JPG

• Advanced Member

You can turn off symmetry, erase one half by using the cut off tool, do whatever you want  to the model, then re-enable symmetry, hit the reset symmetry button at the bottom, and then turn on the appropriate plane and do a symm copy (use a drawing tool on the piece you want to copy and then hit undo, if it copies the empty).

There is somewhere I saw to use mirror symmetry which doesn't actually make voxels or polys on the other side, but I cant find it and haven't used it so I don't know if it would work in this situation.

Edit:  I'm watching an Anton Tenitsky video and you see he fixes a tool affecting both sides of the model simply by useing symm copy without all those other steps.  You can see it here: 

Edited by Falconius