3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Option to disable hotkeys swapping to previous tool

TomGT

I've recently picked up 3D-Coat again and found it annoying that  pressing a hotkey for a tool that is already active, switches it back to the previous tool. 

Generally, when I assign a hotkey to a certain tool I would not expect it to swap me to another tool at any point of time. A lot of times I would press my Brush Tool hotkey (Even if it is already active) only find out that it swapped to my Eraser Tool because that was the previous active tool. 

Is this behavior something I can disable currently? I recall this was not a problem in older versions of 3D-Coat. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome!

There's a function called "hotkey stacking", and that's what's going on here. When you first assign a hotkey to a function, there is a prompt that asks if you'd like to set the hotkey and replace any other functions, or stack the hotkey with all the other functions. It allows you to stack multiple functions on one key and is really useful. So when the prompt comes up, be sure to click the path you want to use.

Hi Javis.

This happens without hotkey stacking. During that prompt, I chose "Redefine" hotkey, which I assume assigns that key to do only that function. 

In the scenario I described, both my Brush Tool and Eraser Tool are assigned different hotkeys too, so I see no reason why pressing the hotkey again while the tool is active, cycles me to ANY previous tool. This is the behavior I'd like to disable.

My 3D Coat version is 4.804 (DX64)

How to replicate my issue. 

Fresh install. 

Press END to set a hotkey, B, for the Brush Tool. Press Redefine on prompt.

Press END to set a hotkey, E, for the Eraser Tool. Press Redefine on prompt. 

Press E to select Eraser, and then B to select Brush tool.

While Brush Tool is active, press B. For some reason this swaps me back to the Eraser Tool. 

This happens with every tool. (e.g If clone tool was my last used tool, then pressing B would swap me to it instead)

I've tried this on different computers. My understanding here is that this isn't a bug but perhaps an overlooked consequence when sticky keys was introduced a few patches back.

Do you have assigned any stack key combination ?

Hotkeys

General Customization - Hotkey

Nearly every tool and function in 3DC can be hotkeyed. By hovering your cursor over the tool you will see the following text, “(‘END’ – Define hotkey)”. By pressing the “End” key on your keyboard while hovering your cursor over the tool or function, you can then define which key you want it to be assigned to.

If a hotkey is already assigned you will be asked if you wish to:

• Reassign the key with the new tool/function
  • Stack the tool/function with any previous tools/functions, allowing you to cycle between all of the tools with one hotkey
  • Remove any tools/functions assigned to that key

On 2/13/2015 at 11:55 PM, coverman said:

I was having the same problem.

I read help manual and it is written like this.

Sticky keys does not work with Stacked Keys.

So I export my hotkeys from [Edit] - [save hotkeys].

Open it with text editor, replace all

<AllowStack>true</AllowStack>

to

<AllowStack>false</AllowStack>

And reimport.

I was released from that problem. :)

On 10/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, nobackup said:

i uninstalled, deleted the folder, reinstalled, copied all my preferences back over, and so far the issue has not come back.  drastic, but it works for now.  I hope they get this bug sorted out. 

As I have mentioned, this happens on a fresh install, no brush packs, no modifications. 

I am not looking to stack my keys at all. I pressed 'Redefine' on the prompt to set a specific key to one function only. 

My tools are assigned different keys.

Yet somehow 3DCoat swaps back to another tool when the hotkey is pressed. 

• 2 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Option to disable hotkeys swapping to previous tool
  • 1 year later...

Is it already fixed? I'm in 4.9.67 and still having this swapping thing in the brushes, and I find it quite annoying to work with.
As far as I know, this is the only thread that talks about it, if anyone knows about a workaround to this I would be more than gratefull.
Thanks

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Option to disable hotkeys swapping to previous tool
  • 2 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Option to disable hotkeys swapping to previous tool