3DCoat Forums

Sculpt Room, surface reference/snap?

kwhali

Similar to how retopo features allow, I would like to be able to have a volume/layer that I can use to affect my active volume/layer. For example if I had a cube or sphere as reference, then my sculpt layer may be influenced/constrained by that layer. On a flat plane intersecting the sphere volume through the center, perhaps the sculpting could build up  but not further than the form of the sphere, similar to a boolean operation.  Like wise if the plane was above the sphere, I could push the surface of the plane to conform against the sphere volume.

It is useful for sculpting where I can select a part, extract the surface(similar tools but they build a water tight extraction rather than if I select surface data I want, duplicate volume, invert freeze and hide/delete. If I want to use this as similar part to repair part of my mesh elsewhere,  it is bit difficult without this sort of feature. Booleans often have trouble. Another use is noisy/damaged surface(scan data), I could repair this alright but have to be careful not to lose the original form too much(or the opposite, I have the proper form that I need the surface to conform to).

12 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

You mean Fit tool ?

This video demonstrates the usage of the Fit tool in the Voxel Sculpting workspace. It is very similar to the Quick Align tool in 3ds Max.

No, that is not what I mean, fit tool is useful for this but I want to sculpt on surface volume onto another, similar to how retopo tools can use a reference mesh. Perhaps think of a cylinder shaped object with bumps/dents in it, and you have repaired similar surface(like bottom half or another object). If you use fit or transform tool to align it, and then want to push/pull(like most sculpt brush with lmb or ctrl+lmb) the polygons, you could use this reference volume to get your target surface to conform to the reference surface, like a snap tool I guess?

I have attached some image of an area with similar forms that need repairing. It is the very obvious damages that need repair, the forms do not have perfect fit, and it's important that I don't warp their shape much, so I either delete the damaged area(as sometimes smooth will not work alone due to bridge/branch like topology errors in the damaged parts), then remeshed needs to properly conform to the curvature. In this screenshots around the center you see a large error of square like dip on what is mostly flat surface. Majority of this type of area I can just use strong smooth tool(it's not perfectly planar, slight curve along the distance/length, but I can smooth out the noise fine). Flatten tool can help with a smooth afterwards( not sure about edge where the cylinder like forms rise, crease tool perhaps keep/restore that while keep curvature of that form and the flat surface it's planar like form.

It would be good if I can take earlier piece that I repair as a small volume(I just duplicate layer and delete the rest as clone/cut/split don't don't give 1:1 extraction(eg on a cube if you try to split you will get a visible seam/line through the two surfaces instead of look like perfect cube still, other tool  add surfaces by making water tight mesh when no additional polygons/fill is wanted). I should be able to take similar surface as reference volume when aligned to surface volume that needs repair, and warp/conform my mesh to that reference volume.

coat_forum.PNG

coat_forum_wire.PNG

Another way to think of it is take two primitive shape, cube and cylinder, with brush tool(call it conform to volume tool?) You could push/pull surface of volume  to fit/wrap/align/conform to reference volume where you brush. So a cube could be brushed against a similar scaled cylinder and get one face being round, similar to boolean. Boolean operations are not brush based though, often give errors and fail if the surface topology is not clean, something like above shared in screenshot can have trouble with cube or cylinder boolean(plus since it is not water tight, you do not want additional polygons to cleanup afterwards).