3DCoat Forums

Cage smooth

3DCNC

• Advanced Member

I thought it might be an interesting idea , to be able to build a smoothing cage with points over a sculpt to even out/smooth a large surface area. I thinking for car body sculpts. 

The cage will try to smooth /even out the surface between the points. Moving the points normal to the surface will adjust the surface below. I think the points of the cage should  be allowed to lock position so they only  move normal to the surface to keep editing simple.

Sorry to post here. It would not let me post in feature requests.

image.thumb.png.d0717d41740b1b01c4a5d2895baa5e14.png

Edited by 3DCNC

• Reputable Contributor

I asked Andrew about adding a Spline Deformer to the Pose tool (which is the Modeling Swiss Army Knife in the Sculpt Workspace), especially now that he is working on re-working Splines. It's similar to what you are asking for.

You can send an email to Support@3dcoat.com and make this request to Andrew. Hopefully, it will create a little more urgency. I asked for this for the very same reason. To make it easier to shape intricate contours on things like Automobiles. That is a little hard to do with the Current tools, even though the FFD Lattice in the Pose Tool helps deform with a fair amount of precision.

I asked him to allow the user to be able to select the nodes of the spline and expand or contract the gradient...or soften/sharpen. These options are actually available in the Tweak room, with it's Gradient Selection, so it shouldn't asking too much, I don't think. Another option I asked him to add was the ability to choose a low poly Quad mesh from the Retopo workspace, to use as a lattice deformer, so we have much better control over our deformations. These two options would really help take modeling in 3D Coat to the next level, IMO. Hope Andrew does it, but we need other users to add their voice to the request. 

• Like 2