3DCoat Forums

PROBLEMS WITH ORIENTATION

Missy

I want to import my mesh from Blender into 3D Coat for Retopo. Every time the imported mesh is showing the wrong orientation in the camera.  For instance, the Camera say "Top" but the mesh is in the "Front" position; or the Camera says "Front" but the mesh is in the "Bottom" position.  I can't seem to get the "Transform" Gizmo to help with it because it is a "Reference Mesh" used for Retopo (I guess).  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?5a3d75898cea3_ScreenShot2017-12-22at4_12_58PM.thumb.png.baf5e74d312c281fd8e8d3c59fe6e13b.png

• Reputable Contributor

Blender by default "Z" is up and 3DC  "Y" is up.  Some programs have z up and others y up, go figure.

In 3DC you can in preferences change 3DC to Z is up. Remember though to change it back if working on a model that has "Y" is up.

Also in Blender, in the export settings for your file format, you can export a model with the "Y" up and then no need to change 3DC. Depends though you might be bringing the model back into blender after working in 3DC.

If the above 2 methods do not work check your Model in Blender. If you are transposing the model in Blender in object mode, you must press Ctrl plus the A key to really commit to those transformations.  You might know that  already but to be safe.

yz.JPG

Edited by digman

In geometry, a coordinate system is a system which uses one or more numbers, or coordinates, to uniquely determine the position of the points or other geometric elements.

Coordinates systems are often used to specify the position of a point, but they may also be used to specify the position of more complex figures such as lines, planes, circles or spheres.

There are two coordinate systems: a fixed system called the world coordinate system (WCS) and a movable system called the user coordinate system (UCS).

- World Coordinate Systems (WCS) are any coordinate systems that describe the physical coordinates associated with a data array, such as sky coordinates (RA and Dec, galactic latitude and longitude, etc.) for an astronomical image, wavelength scale for a spectrum, or time scale for a time series.

- The User Coordinate System defines. The XY plane, also called the work plane, on which objects are created and modified. The horizontal and vertical directions used for features like Ortho mode, polar tracking, and object snap tracking.

• 4 years later...