3DCoat Forums

3dCoat to Blender PBR rendering problems

Hdharris

Hi, my issue is that textures exported from 3D coat aren't showing up properly in blender and I can't figure out what the problem would be, I've tried it with the native node setup that comes with an export, as well as the principled shader and the results are the same, more or less. When uploaded to sketchfab these same textures load perfectly so I know it's not the textures themselves or something like that.

Here's what I mean: what it looks like in blender

5a3e87b3ba9be_blendertest01.thumb.png.ca5ccea1019b23e0a8d2009263118c34.png

Vs What it looks like in 3Dcoat:

5a3e8378b09ad_3DCoattest.thumb.png.0b40c8f2d0e44d7e1bd2251b7e888068.png

here's my node setup for anyone knowledgeable about this kinda thing:

5a3e83a4d0029_NodeSetup.thumb.png.d2f8fd6681622bd87b5ef77cd454a462.png

Edited by Hdharris

• Reputable Contributor

I generally do not have the problems you are encountering from 3DC to Blender. Your workflow information lacks details.

Are you rendering in Cycles blender version 2.79 or the new Eevee realtime PBR engine that you can test in a testing version of 2.80. 

Question. Is 3DC set up in the correct workflow shown in the pictures for exporting to blender. Also make sure that when exporting from the file menu / objects and textures that you also have setup the export for Roughness / Metalness and choose the Blender preset.  Look at the my panel picture for setting up for blender. The more complicated export per channel is not needed.

You have not plugged-in the metallic map in the Principled Shader though you have some metal smart materials on your 3DC model.

Storing glossness / roughness in the metallic map's alpha is not for Blender, though I think it is selected by default. That has not been corrected yet. 

Selecting the Blender preset also will give you the correct normal map rendering for Blender Cycles. I have not personally tested the new Eevee engine yet. The testing version of Blender 2.80 daily builds were not importing a fbx or obj. It might be fixed by now.

Padding is for your uv islands bleed. I use 6 to 8 for 2k maps. Adjust according to your texture resolution. You can choose of course a file format different from TGA if you so desire.

The above of course you could know already but since workflow details were limited, I added information.

burley.JPG

MR.jpg

panel2.JPG

Edited by digman
more info

Sorry for lack of info, I'm still learning the whole texturing thing so I'm not entirely sure how everything works and what I need to do, I've been operating from tutorials, thank you for your detailed reply!

I am using blender 2.79 and cycles, and i used the maps that 3dcoat sent over to blender, I didn't think I needed more than that, I think I expected it to just work via the applink function but obviously not the case! I'll try again using your suggestions

Edited by Hdharris

• Reputable Contributor
10 minutes ago, Hdharris said:

Sorry for lack of info, I'm still learning the whole texturing thing so I'm not entirely sure how everything works and what I need to do, I've been operating from tutorials, thank you for your detailed reply!

I am using blender 2.79 and cycles, and i used the maps that 3dcoat sent over to blender, I didn't think I needed more than that, I think I expected it to just work via the applink function but obviously not the case! I'll try again using your suggestions

The applink really only works for when using the Blender render engine just for your FYI. That is how it is set-up to function. The blender render engine does not support PBR. I normally use the regular export functions. 

Enjoy learning texturing and rendering! :)

Try version 2.8 and use Eevee Renderer

One of the most noticeable features of 2.8 is Eevee.

This real-time engine has been tightly integrated in the Blender viewport.

Eevee supports all the fancy lighting and rendering features that’s common in modern 3D games. It already features:

-    PBR – Physically based rendering...

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just looked quickly, and one thing seem obvious. 3D Coat use an environment texture for the reflections. You don't seem to have one for your model in Blender.
Can you recheck you model and be sure you and have set an environment texture for the reflections? 

You can check there to see to define the environment texture:

Edited by ChristianClavet
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have had a lot of problems with 3d Coat with Blender.  I use the Blender 2.79 64 bit Linux version and the 2.80.  I use the applink for the 2.79 and I get the following back after updating the drawing in 3d coat (picture enclosed).  The shader in the middle image shows shows some connections that doesn't do anything for the 3d-coat robot.  The far left is the rendered view of the shader network and the far right is the 3D-coat robot that was sent over.  As you can see the shader network didn't transfer over the right nodes.  Blender 2.80 the applink doesn't work at all.   

Screenshot from 2018-07-02 15-51-32.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I may not expect much about auto-mate set up for shader nodes, but I just hope to know, which normal setting is right  for blender 2.79 cycles normal map.

At current I only need to use normal map with  principled BSDF (2.79) .

Can someone show me, how you set "preferecne" about normal map export for blender Cycles please? 

I often confuse about each option of export normal.   (eg mikity space, or swap TB etc )

I tried to invert R and G, or swap R and G with cycles mat nodes, but I do not know clear, actually which setting is correct to get same normal map effect as 3d coat

view port render.     I just hope to see, same normal map effect as cycles render.

digman kindly show pic for setting , but I hope to see preference setting for normal export to Blender Cycles..

Then I really apricate, and thanks all effort, if we can get new applink for blender 2.8,  but,, but,,, It is not stable and it not recommend for practial case. 

2.8 is only alpha satus.  I dare to say, we still need many months to get 2.8 as stable version. 

So,, if 3d coat officialy plan to offer app link plug in for 2.8, please think more about 2.79 and (cycles PBR shader) . 

At current Most of blender user use 2.79 and "cycles" with princpled bsdf for PBR  mat. (to make game assets etc)

setting.JPG

Edited by tokikake