3DCoat Forums

Need help, questions, tutorial questions

Cminion

I have done a lot of research and found loads on youtube, some videos to buy on steam, and found on pluralsight. I bought 3d coat for several reasons and read lots of things about it before i made my decision. The questions i am hoping to be helped with is there anyone that knows a good tutorial to show how to do curves over a hard surface? i was trying to do a bagged pickup truck to try out the modeling. I have been learning blender and i have known about 3d coat for years but finally had the money to buy it.
 is the pluralsight hard surface 3d coat tutorials any good?
 could i do a good job in time making characters  female or male?
 would i be better off to sculpt characters in zbrush if i bought it down the road or can i do the same in 3d coat?
is it harder to do same stuff in 3d coat as in zbrush? 
should i just stick to blender for hard surface modeling? 

I am sure there are more questions i could come up. I have done a lot of reading and i know some answers in ways but not to my liking if that makes sense at all. 

My plan is to one day be good enough to make my own characters, and etc bring them into i am guessing blender to do small animations with for fun, this is all hobby and would like to create my own universe of people and things that i enjoy that i could share with others for fun. Ty for any help you can give.

( I posted this on steam forums to under the game but i was not sure how many actually used that ( since i bought from steam ). Was not sure to put in 3d coat under general or here so i decided to play it safe to. )

• Advanced Member

the Coat is much better and easy than the Brush.its enough for simple sings to start with.so keep learning working for fun.good idea to have a universe.fun road.i do not know about blender but seems hard.keep installing any demo to try out.study the help files.maya modo max cinema lw etc.compare and take your time.then 2d skills may be animation tests.the a game engine unity or unreal.then publish for vr.jack of all trades

• Reputable Contributor

Trying to be as objective as possible, the reason I went with 3D Coat over ZBrush several years ago, was 1) the UI of ZBrush was just too foreign to me 2) I already had a 3dconnexion device (SpacePilot) in use in 3ds Max, and didn't want to give up the use of that, just to work in ZB. 3D Coat has had 3dconnexion support for a long time. ZBrush doesn't and won't, because much of it is 2.5D.

3) 3D Coat was a full-fledged texture painting app with a Photoshop style UI, layer system w/ Blending modes, and workflow. ZBrush was always more of a sculpting app, with some vertex color painting thrown in. 4) 3D Coat had/has much better UV layout and Retopo tools (although ZBrush's Auto-retopo delivers better results in many cases). 5) Price. Not including sales, it's Professional version is half the cost of ZBrush, with much better Texture Painting, Retopo and UV tools.

Basically, 3D Coat tries to offer high level tools in all those areas, including sculpting. So, it's more of a ALL-IN-ONE application. Whereas ZB is mostly a Sculpting specialty app. It has recently added some nice modeling tools, though. In the area of sculpting, ZBrush certainly has the advantage of being in the industry and carving out it's own market well before 3D Coat came along, so it's tough for anyone to compete with them in that arena. But 3D Coat is the closest to ZB in sculpting capability. Many of the Surface mode presets have ZBrush equivalency brushes. They aren't necessarily named after the ZBrush equivalents, but many of the most common ZBrush standard brushes will find a corresponding one in the preset panel. The performance and feel of these brushes are also very close. Just try them out, yourself, rather than taking other people's word for it.

Some of the Surface mode brushes have "Remove Stretching" enabled in the Toolbar (above the viewport). This can be handy if your model is still in the rough-out, lower resolution stage. But as you progress to the intermediate and high detail stages, it is a good idea to uncheck that option. The reason is, REMOVE STRETCHING performs a localized "Decimation/Optimization" routine where you brushed. On dense models, that can produce a noticeable split second pause, while it performs that routine immediately after each stroke. On lower resolution meshes, this is not very noticeable. I personally like to keep that option disabled. Some users like to use it all the time. It's a matter of preference. But that little pause is often confused for performance lag in general. 

In summary, if an artist is a long time ZBrush user, then they will likely prefer to keep sculpting in ZBrush...for now. But, if you haven't used either app for long, and all you really want is a good all-in-one app, that can do all those tasks at a very high level, then 3D Coat is certainly a good option.

Ty AbnRanger for all that info it does help. I have been looking and recently found some really good tutorials for 3d coat on udemy.com and on pluralsight.com. My plan is since i learned 4 years ago mostly modo , some maya and 3d coat some then ( free version ) is relearning it all but this time blender and 3d coat. I stooped because had a bunch of deaths in the family as i was learning and lost the house ( it ended up working out even better so do not worry, except for loosing very close family that was never a good thing. things did work out and have a better life now then i did , just miss them ) so i lost interest in it for a good while. I tried getting into airbrush artwork a year and half ago and i did well at it for about 6 months and my back problems got so bad i could no longer learn forward at all so that made it impossible for me to airbrush. Since i can sit here in a very nice chair that holds my back well i can 3d model so now i am back into this since it will be a nice artistic outlet for me.

I really do hope to get great at both of them and one day able to even animate and make my own little shorts for fun. It is something to keep my mind busy because i have a lot of free time. Ty so much for all the info and i will stick with what a i like the best. Looking over all the software for a few weeks that is when i decided on blender and 3d coat. tyvm for all the info. 

Ty moska to that was a nice interview. the aspect of 3d coat from watching it seems much more fun to work with then zbrush to so i see completely where you are coming from there.