3DCoat Forums

Newbie Questions

Cminion

I have seen 3d coat for a long time and finally bought it on steam. Right now i am learning blender but next is 3d coat because it looks like i can have a lot of fun making stuff with it. The questions i have though is this about what i want to do in the future. One day i hope to get good enough to make my on little anime style 3d animations for fun to share with everyone. 

Questions

Should i learn zbrush to or can i sculpt just as well as zbrush for characters?

I really want to do my own custom bagged truck and though blender would be best for that but i know you can do some nice stuff hard surface modeling with 3d coat to, so would it be better to do stuff like that in blender, 3d coat, or something else?

Is there any good  tutorials ( i have looked up loads ) that go over creating curves on hard surface modeling well ( a example would be a car hood or something on those lines ) ?

can i make stuff in blender and bring it over to uv unwrap , paint then take back when its ready to be rendered or animated in the future?

when it does come to animation down the road should i just learn blender or something like iclone?  i am a far ways away from animating but just though i would throw the question in there.

ty for any help you can provide :) 3d coat is a great program from all i have seen. the only thing is i seem to have a hard time  finding good tutorials with detailed work and explains things well. 

• Advanced Member

You can do anythink you can imagine with blender and 3d coat. Your artistic skills are far more important than a software. ZBrush is a really capable software but I think it is really not so straight forward like 3d Coat. It is really not so ergonomic, no idea who came up with the UI concept :D

Some points for 3d Coat vs ZBrush:

- ZBursh brushes work better for me than in 3d Coat, they seem to work exacter and have a better feel

- 3d Coat stroke control (control points and so on) is better than in ZBrush (really poor implemented, wtf)

- 3d Coat is better for blocking out with the voxel mode

- ZBrush has some features which are not in 3d Coat, for example Hair.

- 3d Coat has far better painting