3DCoat Forums

Battle of the Cores: Intel’s Core i9 vs AMD’s Threadripper vs...

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Well, even though I am still an NVidia guy, Vega disappointed only in the sense that everyone expected them to leapfrog the current top consumer models (1080Ti, 1080, 1070). They matched NVidia's top cards, except the 1080Ti, which is basically a TitanX Pascal. The 56 is actually a bit better than the GTX 1070, but the Vega 64 is pretty much neck and neck with the GTX 1080. So, at least they got parity with NVidia. This 7nm and 32GB card sounds like a beast. I just don't know if I'm ready for an AMD card (no CUDA), because that excludes usage of some render engines, like VRay RT GPU (for Modo) and Octane, plus no CUDA for Voxel sculpting...which isn't a huge deal, but I notice a difference when enabling it in 3D Coat.

When I was buying a year ago the Vega's had just come out, but they got panned pretty bad in every review I saw, and I watched a lot.  They were as I said, lackluster, loud, and hot, whilst giving poorer performance in most games and on the production side being in parity with 1080 (for the 64), and they were late, and there was already 1080 Ti's by that point too.  I think AMD is pretty competitive in the GPU dept. but it seems to lag just a little behind Nvidia.  but Nvidia has a big lead on them, as L'Acien noted above.  In production use I think they have the most competitiveness, except as you pointed out most programs are geared towards Nvidia architecture.  All this competition is pretty fun for me as a consumer, I wish AMD well.... 

And I'll probably help them along by buying another beefy CPU and upgrading again. xD  So long as I can get a decent price for what's in my machine now.

• Advanced Member

Now it's going to get really interesting...

https://wccftech.com/intel-official-discrete-gpu-market-2020/

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has stated in an analyst meeting (via MarketWatch) that Intel will be rolling out its first dedicated GPU sometime in 2020 – corroborating the leak that we reported on a couple of months  back. This is the first official confirmation of the company’s dGPU ambitions and predicts the first year in recent history that we are going to be seeing three GPU players in the market – namely Intel, NVIDIA and AMD.

Intel-Arctic-Sound-GPU-820x400.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Now it's going to get really interesting...

https://wccftech.com/intel-official-discrete-gpu-market-2020/

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has stated in an analyst meeting (via MarketWatch) that Intel will be rolling out its first dedicated GPU sometime in 2020 – corroborating the leak that we reported on a couple of months  back. This is the first official confirmation of the company’s dGPU ambitions and predicts the first year in recent history that we are going to be seeing three GPU players in the market – namely Intel, NVIDIA and AMD.

Intel-Arctic-Sound-GPU-820x400.jpg

Not while they insist on massive price-gouging....charging double or more what the competition charges for the same level of performance. What's the old saying..."Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

• Advanced Member

I think Intel explored this option a few years ago and it eventually got canned.  My impression of Intel is that they are very good at doing the things they already do, they aren't so good when straying from their "lane".  Which for them isn't really a bad thing since their lane occupies the majority of the road way.

On review of the video it looks like it's something they keep starting and stopping...

I'd love to see what they come up with if its true though.

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, Falconius said:

I think Intel explored this option a few years ago and it eventually got canned.  My impression of Intel is that they are very good at doing the things they already do, they aren't so good when straying from their "lane".  Which for them isn't really a bad thing since their lane occupies the majority of the road way.

On review of the video it looks like it's something they keep starting and stopping...

I'd love to see what they come up with if its true though.

Well, competition is always good for the consumer. Problem for Intel is, they hate competition, and have done dirty deeds for decades to squelch any competition. Even recently on the CPU side of things, they come out with a disinformation campaign to dampen enthusiasm for Ryzen CPU releases.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-32-core-64-thread-cpu-specs-performance-overclock-leak/

https://youtu.be/pguMUFyJ3_U

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Flagship 32 Core, 64 Thread 4.00 GHz CPU Detailed and Benchmarked – Overclocks Up To 4.12 GHz Across All Cores on High-End Corsair AIO Liquid Cooler

AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990X-32-Core-64-

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Carlosan changed the title to Battle of the Cores: Intel’s Core i9 vs AMD’s Threadripper vs...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

More news coming out. 

$1500 US  for the 32 core Threadripper and either 3.4 or 3.8 GHz according to this graphic 

The listing shows the chip as a 180W part but that may not be finalized as AMD themselves had confirmed a 250W TDP for the upcoming TR4 processors. Now the most impressive thing about the listing is the price. At 1509 EUR which is about roughly the same as $1500 US based on CPU and other hardware region specific prices, the chip blows every other HEDT away that has been released to date. The pricing while a placeholder just goes off to show that we can expect similar or close to this when the final retail model becomes available.

The chip is expected to feature a base clock of 3.4 GHz and a maximum boost clock of 4.0 GHz while the precision boost overdrive clocks are rated at +200 MHz so expect up to 4.20 GHz in single core optimized workloads. This shows that AMD can still achieve very high clock speeds even when they jumped to twice as many cores as their previous flagship, the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X.

AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990X-CPU-Price-1500-US-1030x499.thumb.jpg.ad276018bc1aa0ed580f37513cdee593.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-cpu-price-1500-usd-leak/

• Advanced Member

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-cpu-prices-fall-e650-750-1950x/

With the launch of second-generation Ryzen Threadripper fast approaching, retailers are offering price cuts on current generation parts. Even though Ryzen Threadripper 2000 series will offer a huge bump in core count and offer an efficient process design, current X399 chips are here to stay and they are now available at far lower prices than ever before.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1st Gen CPU Now Available For Less Than €650 (Up To 16 Cores) – Price Drop Indicative on Next-Gen X399 CPUs Launch
Prices for the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1st generation processors were already so disruptive for the HEDT market but looks like you can found them at much cheaper rates nowadays. The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X can now be bought for less than €649.99 (EU) and $749.99 (US) respectively.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-series-9600-specs-merely-100-and-200-mhz-speed-bumps.html

Yesterday we reported that Intel to be releasing Coffee lake based six and eight-core part in the 9000 series with processors like the Core i5-9600(K). We can advance a bit more on that as the specification leaked as well, the procs are a respin of the current ones, with 100 to 200 MHz clock frequency increases.

Intel will house the new procs shared over the Core i5 (6-core) and Core i7 (8-core)line.  The processors all will be a series 9000 model and based on Coffee Lake architecture. Intel now shows specifications of the mentioned processors, Hardware info spotted and the 9000 series CPU's are clocked approximately 100 to 200MHz higher than their 8000 series counterparts. A microcode update guidance file reveals Coffee Lake S series featuring whats listed as six and four core configurations, the models listed are:

• Core i5-9600(K)
  • Core i5-9500(T)
  • Core i3-9100
  • Core i3-9000

That means it's confirmed that Intel will be using 8th gen processors in the 9000 lineups. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

OH MY GOD. Early in 2019 AMD will be coming out with the new 7nm CPUs..and they'll be in 3 series. 

The third series, CPUs designed for servers WILL HAVE SIXTY FOUR CORES

https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-zen-2-rumors-16-core-am4-32-core-threadripper-64-core-epyc/

The second part of this rumor is that three different designs may already have been finalized for the Zen 2 core. These include:

AM4 (Up To 16 Zen 2 Cores)
TR4 (Up To 32 Zen 2 Cores)
SP3 (Up To 64 Zen 2 Cores)
According to this, the maximum core count on the AM4 platform will be upped from 8 cores to 16 cores. The TR4 platform will stick with the 32 core count as the upcoming 2nd gen parts (not likely to remain the same) and the server parts will get up to 64 cores from the current maximum of 32 cores. This points to an 8 core CCX as each die would make use of two such CCX’s.

amd_roadmap_cpu_q2_2018-740x416.png.9955bf0c773509c1775b3e3ab16daf85.png

It will be interesting to see how everything pans out for Zen 2 but one thing is for sure, AMD is on a roll with their disruptive Ryzen, Threadripper and EPYC releases so expect Zen 2 to deliver the level of excitement as the first Zen processors.

AMD is also saying that they are going to bring higher core count than ever before, more disruptive bandwidth and all of this will be available on existing sockets. So companies who were previously running 1st gen EPYC CPUs can just swap in the latest processors without the need to update platform. In addition to that, we can expect the 7nm+ Zen 3 based EPYC ‘Milan’ CPUs around 2020. But there’s more after Zen 3.

AMD also mentioned that they are going to bring Zen 4 and Zen 5 architecture based processors in the post-2020 era. There were no details mentioned but it’s great to see that AMD is following a long-term roadmap which will make Intel think twice about their own roadmap which includes an entirely next-gen core architecture beyond 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper 2990x Listed For $1835 USD At Canadian Retailer

AMD recently held the Threadripper 2 event in Maranello and it looks like the channel seeding has begun because the Ryzen Threadripper 2990X flagship processor was recently spotted listed at a Canadian retailer (via Videocardz) for 2400 CAD ($1835 USD). The AMD Threadripper 2990X is the flagship of the TR2 platform and features a mammoth 32-core / 64-thread count that can satisfy even the most power hungry Amateur/Video Professional workload.

AMD-Threadripper-2990X-Listed-1835.thumb.jpg.7808c2c1e9a53f42d85a974afc4140bc.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-listed-for-1835-usd-at-canadian-retailer/

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper 2990x Listed For $1835 USD At Canadian Retailer

AMD recently held the Threadripper 2 event in Maranello and it looks like the channel seeding has begun because the Ryzen Threadripper 2990X flagship processor was recently spotted listed at a Canadian retailer (via Videocardz) for 2400 CAD ($1835 USD). The AMD Threadripper 2990X is the flagship of the TR2 platform and features a mammoth 32-core / 64-thread count that can satisfy even the most power hungry Amateur/Video Professional workload.

AMD-Threadripper-2990X-Listed-1835.thumb.jpg.7808c2c1e9a53f42d85a974afc4140bc.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-listed-for-1835-usd-at-canadian-retailer/

It definitely shows that when one of these chip makers feels they have a clear advantage, they price their top models relatively high. It's basically a server chip that's capable of handling higher than normal clock speeds (4+Ghz). I'm pretty happy with my Ryzen 2700X, thus far.

• Advanced Member

Flagship models generally aren't what people generally buy.  What is more interesting is the mid level models where all the core counts also followed going up.  The advantage AMD has only lasts as long as they price their stuff competitively, it's not like Intel has just disappeared.  Whilst they have the advantage AMD has to gather market share, again that means they are going to keep their prices low.  I don't think that charging 1,900 for a 32 core 64 thread ship is overpriced.  As you said it's basically a server chip, where it prices way under the top level chips available.  for a more comprable chip, an intel core i9 with 18 cores costs 1,900 on Newegg right now.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Falconius said:

Flagship models generally aren't what people generally buy.  What is more interesting is the mid level models where all the core counts also followed going up.  The advantage AMD has only lasts as long as they price their stuff competitively, it's not like Intel has just disappeared.  Whilst they have the advantage AMD has to gather market share, again that means they are going to keep their prices low.  I don't think that charging 1,900 for a 32 core 64 thread ship is overpriced.  As you said it's basically a server chip, where it prices way under the top level chips available.  for a more comprable chip, an intel core i9 with 18 cores costs 1,900 on Newegg right now.

This is exactly how I feel. 

Furthermore, it seems that Intel was being lazy, deliberately dragging its feet on CPU progress while keeping prices quite high, the better to maximize profits. Why bother investing heavily in radical new technology when you can just squeeze the maximum out of the existing technology without having to spend that much on progress? Thank God that for whatever reason AMD was able and willing to come back into the top end consumer CPU market like this and give us this amazing gift.

My old dual quad core Harpertowns are 9 years old this year. I've burned out two motherboards in the extreme heat of the last two summers. I haven't even had a computer I could work on for over a year, just this crappy $399 Dell laptop .  I've been waiting for this moment and now it's almost  here. 

Cooking up textures and making rapid test renders with one of these 64 thread beauties is going to be incredible. It's going to just blast through all the roadblocks in my old texturing workflow like dyanamite.  Some people blow their money on ATVs or big loaded $60k pickup trucks. I could do that but it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun to me as having a computer like this. I'm just grateful I could live in a time frame where this was happening.

And just stop and think from what's been posted above in this thread; within a year and a half it's almost certain we'll have AMD workstations with 128 threads running at  around 4ghz. That will be mind blowing. I'm too old to take any of this stuff for granted at all. It's a miracle.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, Falconius said:

I think AMD needed to come in with Ryzen 7 and ThreadRipper, in the low end of the price scale, to give their CPU's a clear advantage. They were able to match or beat what Intel offered and do so cheaper. However, I think this go round, they are probably taking a different approach. They got back a lot of respect and a bigger market footprint, so they don't feel the need to undercut Intel as much, on price, as before.

We all know that the serve chips are vastly overpriced, anyway. They are aimed at corporations rather than budget-minded individuals. With that said, I can't blame them for charging the same price as Intel's flagship model, if they are offering a lot more cores for the same money. I despise Intel, but we still need them to keep AMD from doing the same thing Intel did for years...slow drip of minimal improvements, rather than innovating.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amds-threadripper-2990x-4-ghz-on-air-new-wraith-coolers/

AMD recently held a Threadripper 2 event in Maranello and while we weren’t considered good enough to be invited by the company – we do have some great news coming-in from the event that we aren’t bound by an NDA to not-share (good luck unravelling this sentence): AMD is introducing new Wraith Ripper coolers that will allow its flagship processor, the Threadripper 2990X/WX to hit 4.0 GHz on all cores on air. This is an absolutely incredible feat and is a subtle pun at the recent Intel debacle regarding the 28-core and the aquarium chiller.

AMD rolling out XFR2 that will enable 2nd Gen Threadripper 2990X 32-core flagship to hit 4.0 GHz across all cores on air on new Wraith coolers

AMD-Wraith-Ripper-Cooler.thumb.jpg.6ab28f247a2706d05920cf69626f7611.jpg

AMD-Wraith-Coolers-1030x557.thumb.jpg.794e1ff2bb3a2e3e320d5a9a65a98f12.jpg

• Advanced Member

While the coolers are good, and way better than intel inclusions they really aren't the best.  I'm not sure if they are a very good selling point as opposed to marketing an even lower price for the chips.  For instance I'm using the spire cooler included with the Ryzen 7 1700 and it is good enough but not good enough to handle really heavy loads for long periods.  Of course I have a kind of crappy motherboard (Asus b 350 prime) so that may also be interfering with my experience.  I do know that when I go shopping for a cpu I tend to go for as much horsepower for the best price I can get, coolers are kind of (though not entirely) secondary to that.

• Advanced Member

https://wccftech.com/goldman-downgrades-intel-while-upgrading-outlook-for-amd/

Goldman Sachs not only upgraded AMD (NASDAQ:AMD 19.06 0%) from “sell” to “neutral” today, but Analyst Toshya Hari cut the rating on Intel (NASDAQ:INTC 48.85 -0.03%) from “neutral” to “sell,” doing a complete polar swap on the CPU giants. In Hari’s note to clients, he said “[w]e find it increasingly harder to argue our prior bear thesis — even following the recent stock price move — given Intel’s struggles with 10nm process technology.”

This after my previous article regarding Morgan Stanley saying the general semiconductor industry is on the downswing, in addition to our article regarding Intel’s 10nm process is vastly superior to any current 10nm process currently in mass production as well as being a more dense and versatile package, it is still an unknown factor whether or not Intel can deliver, but the same thing could be said of AMD. While some analysts believe the smaller the process, the better the chip, not all processes are created equal.

From April 6, 2017, when Goldman downgraded AMD to sell, AMD stock has gained 44% versus the S&P’s total return of 21% over the same period of time. With AMD pushing hard for market gains in the CPU market, it’s clear analysts are noticing something different, and not necessarily just Intel’s recent and scandalous change in leadership.

Though this also could have analyst worried. Brian Krzanich, who resigned after having an affair with a subordinate, has not formally been replaced. Bob Swan was named interim CEO as of June 21st, but Swan was the CFO prior to all of this and made comments during an all-hands staff meeting that not only was Krzanich asked to resign for breaching company policy in regard to having a relationship with a fellow employee, he was removing himself from candidacy for CEO, further questioning the next person in charge. He also made clear their company’s sexual harassment policy.

Now that Goldman has changed its tune on AMD, it also had quite a bit more in regard to it’s now also changing their opinion of Intel. “We believe Intel’s struggles will provide a reason for customers (PC OEMs, server OEMs, Cloud Service Providers, etc.) to adopt, or at least investigate, AMD’s product.”

Their now adapted appraisal of 2019 lines out a sizable gain of 5.1%, moving into 2020 where they could see 9.4% gains in the server chip market alone. The desktop and OEM markets are different stories entirely, but if similar gains are seen here as well, Goldman could continue down this path. The playing field, from Goldman’s perspective, seems to be leveling off a bit.

The next two years in the CPU market could be huge, not only for competition in the stock market but for the innovation it will provide everyone. This is just starting to get interesting. Affairs, reversals of ratings and even Goldman Sachs admitting they were wrong about a previous prediction. This story has got it all, folks. Stay tuned, and we’ll keep you informed!

• Advanced Member

I was going to run out in September and buy the 2950X and even the latest NVidia GPU, the 2080 or whatever it's going to be called, but my friend an EE reminded me of Black Friday.  Something to remember from last year..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/11/23/amd-and-intel-in-massive-black-friday-processor-price-war/#6147e22d770a

Threadripper 1950X: Launch price $999 - Average price $949 - Black Friday Sale price $799 (saving $150) a 16% saving.

A similar 16% reduction in price on the AMD Threadripper 299WX 32 core CPU would be $287 USD.

Oh well I wait a couple extra months....but by then they'll be letting out leaks on the soon to appear 64 core 128 thread Ryzen CPU..

• Reputable Contributor
On 8/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, L'Ancien Regime said:

Sort of a bit off topic but since we're thinking about next builds, how about a 1TB SSD for $173.00 USD?

https://wccftech.com/review/crucial-mx-500-1tb-ssd-review-one-of-the-best-in-its-class/

That's a good find, but I think it's time for me to finally go M.2. Been wanting one for a while, but the performance and price of SSD's have been "good enough" to put it off for a while. These are definitely still good choices for media disks, when using After Effects and Premiere Pro, etc.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

That's a good find, but I think it's time for me to finally go M.2. Been wanting one for a while, but the performance and price of SSD's have been "good enough" to put it off for a while. These are definitely still good choices for media disks, when using After Effects and Premiere Pro, etc.

Yeah I've been looking at those for a year now and that's definitely lthe way to go. That SSD would be good for a RAID array.

But I remember paying $500 for 500 gb SSD  just a few years ago..

intel.web.416.234-100613940-orig.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

That Ryzen 2950X (2nd Gen of the 16-core 1950X ThreadRipper CPU) is looking like a great value for the average freelancer and small studio. I'd love to see how much it helps 3DCoat. Probably most noticeable in the Paint Workspace, working with 8k maps or larger. 3DCoat can be a memory hog when working large assets. I was doing UV cleanup of the (Felippe Beckman's) Viking model and when I went to APPLY UV, it was soaking up 47GB!!!

Andrew has to do something about that and sliders in the Paint Workspace. One of his developers is working on a GPU brush engine for the Paint Workspace and he said it is supposed to use less memory, so we will have to see.

• Advanced Member

I'm seriously reassessing my purchase of of the 2990WX in light of NVIDIA's  CEO Jensen Huang's keynote speech at Siggraph 2018 in Vancouver last night. 

The purpose from my POV was always render buckets. 64 render buckets in Mantra or Vray etc sounded like the solution to my main bottleneck, which is in creating and testing new textures in full ray trace mode.

The announcement last night is that with RTX, real time ray tracing had arrived at an affordable price (for me).

I'm not sure yet though. It's going to be interesting to hear all the discussions on this development over the next month or two.

You can watch it here;

https://wccftech.com/watch-nvidia-ceo-siggraph-2018-livestream-here/

All the details and analysis here;

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-graphics-card-turing-launch/

https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-turing-architecture-arrives-in-high-end-quadro-rtx-gpus/

rtx.JPG.5c4b9d799473ed312eb9420b33241190.JPG

If $10k sounds like a lot it is but it's actually a bargain compared to this

1164945012_nvidia1.thumb.JPG.1397ce428e63851270a78fed89d2fc3b.JPG

The $10000 top of the line Quadro RTX is the equivalent to this DGX worstation for $50k. (Reminds me of the days of SGI workstations)

I could see buying the Quadro RTX 5000 for $2300 USD

Rumors are the Turing Nvidia RTX 2080 is going to be $3000 or so the rumors say.

Watch the video of Huang's speech closely. It's full of pretty impressive stuff.

Maybe the answer is a new second generation Ryzen 12 core that's a lot cheaper, with 128 gigs of DDR4 RAM and one of these Turing GTX GPUs for real time ray tracing. At the end of th video Huang says Maya et al are already on board with this so it'll run on all the render engines no problem. 4k, even 8k real time ray traced renders.

• Reputable Contributor

How is RTX going to render scenes with engines that are CPU-based? A 32-core CPU will come in really handy when a GPU engine isn't available or you get Out of Core issues. Not to mention how much it can help with simulations. The GPUi