3D Coat Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carlosan

Battle of the Cores: Intel’s Core i9-7960X vs AMD’s Threadripper 1950X vs...

There is a lot of internal AMD politics going on behind the scenes with all these developments.

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi-gpu-roadmap-cost-zen/

it is essential to understand AMD’s contextual backdrop – both in terms of talent and finances. The company has a market capitalization $15.25 billion and has struggled to turn a profit. In comparison, competitors like NVIDIA and Intel are giants with market capitalizations of $158.2 billion and $254.1 billion respectively and net income in the billions of dollars as well. The same goes for talent as well, it costs money and AMD has a relatively smaller pool of (very) talented engineers that can work on a given project at one time as compared to its much bigger rivals.

Lisa’s dilemma: A CPU comeback with semi-custom centric roadmaps or maintain expensive leadership in graphics for gamers
Pundits that have been following AMD’s progress will almost unanimously agree on one thing – AMD is a company that is cash-starved. With a finite flow of resources, the company has to be very careful of how it allocates the precious pool of R&D and how it does so – usually dictates its performance for the next couple of years.

This is also where our story begins. Kyle Bennet of HardOCP first reported a rift between the now-Radeon Technologies Group department and the company’s CEO Lisa Su quite some time ago. The issue was simple, Raja Koduri (the RTG boss) wanted more autonomy and there were rumors that they wanted to spin off the graphics department completely. Well, we now have the full story in-hand and the issue went much deeper.

It turns out that Lisa Su was focused primarily on bringing back AMD’s CPU side of things, and establishing a strong semi-custom GPU side. Maintaining leadership in the descrete graphics market (gamers) is a costly business and with the finite amount of resources the company had, something had to give.MW-FX126_lisa_s_20171026160018_ZH.thumb.jpg.5e3c9fb383e1d784bff51fded0c6acd7.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

I'm pretty much OK with that. As is, their GPU side of things have been highly competitive with Nividia. The CPU side of the business was what was dragging the company down. Smart move for her to put more emphasis on their weakness, rather than what they were already good at. No politics....just common sense, IMO.

I can tell you right now, AMD won't be cash strapped for long. Their stock prices have climbed significantly since they released Ryzen over a year ago. That gave and is giving, them a bug infusion of capital. More and more PC makers are putting Ryzen CPU's in their systems, including laptops.

i think i'll be trying an amd based pc next.. well for the cpu... 

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I can't resist the schadenfreude

And I just finished watching this vid; the good news? 

The 32 core 64 thread Threadripper is coming IN AUGUST....

:)

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, Falconius said:

I don't know the Vega 56's and 64's fell well short of the mark one would expect them to hit.  Nvidia cards are still top tier.  Although when it comes to production per price AMD seems to be stomping all over intel, so I hope they can give the green monster a run for it's money.

Well, even though I am still an NVidia guy, Vega disappointed only in the sense that everyone expected them to leapfrog the current top consumer models (1080Ti, 1080, 1070). They matched NVidia's top cards, except the 1080Ti, which is basically a TitanX Pascal. The 56 is actually a bit better than the GTX 1070, but the Vega 64 is pretty much neck and neck with the GTX 1080. So, at least they got parity with NVidia. This 7nm and 32GB card sounds like a beast. I just don't know if I'm ready for an AMD card (no CUDA), because that excludes usage of some render engines, like VRay RT GPU (for Modo) and Octane, plus no CUDA for Voxel sculpting...which isn't a huge deal, but I notice a difference when enabling it in 3D Coat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Well, even though I am still an NVidia guy, Vega disappointed only in the sense that everyone expected them to leapfrog the current top consumer models (1080Ti, 1080, 1070). They matched NVidia's top cards, except the 1080Ti, which is basically a TitanX Pascal. The 56 is actually a bit better than the GTX 1070, but the Vega 64 is pretty much neck and neck with the GTX 1080. So, at least they got parity with NVidia. This 7nm and 32GB card sounds like a beast. I just don't know if I'm ready for an AMD card (no CUDA), because that excludes usage of some render engines, like VRay RT GPU (for Modo) and Octane, plus no CUDA for Voxel sculpting...which isn't a huge deal, but I notice a difference when enabling it in 3D Coat.

When I was buying a year ago the Vega's had just come out, but they got panned pretty bad in every review I saw, and I watched a lot.  They were as I said, lackluster, loud, and hot, whilst giving poorer performance in most games and on the production side being in parity with 1080 (for the 64), and they were late, and there was already 1080 Ti's by that point too.  I think AMD is pretty competitive in the GPU dept. but it seems to lag just a little behind Nvidia.  but Nvidia has a big lead on them, as L'Acien noted above.  In production use I think they have the most competitiveness, except as you pointed out most programs are geared towards Nvidia architecture.  All this competition is pretty fun for me as a consumer, I wish AMD well.... 

And I'll probably help them along by buying another beefy CPU and upgrading again. xD  So long as I can get a decent price for what's in my machine now.

The move by AI to specialized task designs should reduce the demand for generalists like CPUs and GPUs. That should stop artists from having to compete with data miners and bitcoin miners.

Now it's going to get really interesting...

https://wccftech.com/intel-official-discrete-gpu-market-2020/

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has stated in an analyst meeting (via MarketWatch) that Intel will be rolling out its first dedicated GPU sometime in 2020 – corroborating the leak that we reported on a couple of months  back. This is the first official confirmation of the company’s dGPU ambitions and predicts the first year in recent history that we are going to be seeing three GPU players in the market – namely Intel, NVIDIA and AMD.

Intel-Arctic-Sound-GPU-820x400.jpg

9 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Now it's going to get really interesting...

https://wccftech.com/intel-official-discrete-gpu-market-2020/

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has stated in an analyst meeting (via MarketWatch) that Intel will be rolling out its first dedicated GPU sometime in 2020 – corroborating the leak that we reported on a couple of months  back. This is the first official confirmation of the company’s dGPU ambitions and predicts the first year in recent history that we are going to be seeing three GPU players in the market – namely Intel, NVIDIA and AMD.

Intel-Arctic-Sound-GPU-820x400.jpg

Not while they insist on massive price-gouging....charging double or more what the competition charges for the same level of performance. What's the old saying..."Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I think Intel explored this option a few years ago and it eventually got canned.  My impression of Intel is that they are very good at doing the things they already do, they aren't so good when straying from their "lane".  Which for them isn't really a bad thing since their lane occupies the majority of the road way.

On review of the video it looks like it's something they keep starting and stopping...

I'd love to see what they come up with if its true though.

12 hours ago, Falconius said:

I think Intel explored this option a few years ago and it eventually got canned.  My impression of Intel is that they are very good at doing the things they already do, they aren't so good when straying from their "lane".  Which for them isn't really a bad thing since their lane occupies the majority of the road way.

On review of the video it looks like it's something they keep starting and stopping...

I'd love to see what they come up with if its true though.

Well, competition is always good for the consumer. Problem for Intel is, they hate competition, and have done dirty deeds for decades to squelch any competition. Even recently on the CPU side of things, they come out with a disinformation campaign to dampen enthusiasm for Ryzen CPU releases.

• Like 1