3D Coat Forums
Carlosan

Battle of the Cores: Intel’s Core i9 vs AMD’s Threadripper vs...

2 hours ago, PolyHertz said:

There are some new rumors regarding the upcoming Zen2 CPUs that I thought you guys might be interested in. Seems the combination of 7nm and chiplets may have been enough to allow AMD to double Ryzens core count compared to Intels similarly prices CPUs again (like with the first Ryzen), as well as being able to reach 5ghz+ on their higher end SKUs. Some of it sounds almost too good to be true, but the video I linked below is for a guys whose predictions and analysis are generally quite accurate. Either way, we'll probably find out in about a month whether they're true or not (during CES).

Yeah, if Intel is able to get their CPU's to OC to 5Ghz on their 14nm chips, I don't see it being that tough to do for AMD on 7nm processors. Looks very promising. 16cores at 5Ghz would be amazing.

The thing that's blowing my mind isn't just that you'll be able to get 16/32 cores/threads at 5.1ghz but that the prices are so damn cheap. Intel would rape your wallet brutally if they could offer those specs on a CPU without competition. With the rapid fall in SSD prices and cheap high quality X399 motherboards, the only fly in the ointment is this annoying GPU problem holding things up. Buy a cheap hot noisy RADEON with crappy drivers or pay an arm and a leg for a new NVIDIA GPU that's going to turn into a brick on you the day after the warranty elapses?

By the way I've a related question for all you Radeon owners out there; as someone who really doesn't care that much about gaming ( I do game a bit but it's sort of spiritually empty I find) I'm more concerned about how they work out for both interactive vs final production renders.  I've heard AMD cards are actually better than NVidia cards in this department. 

Is this the way to go? I mean 16 GB of HBM VRAM....

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Radeon-Frontier-Liquid-Retail/dp/B072XLR2K7

"Fantastic card! Using it for 3D modeling and rendering in Maya, Max and other CAD software. Performance is astounding! Big step up from the Quadro 4000. Handles hundreds of thousands of object with tens of millions of polys without a sweat in Maya. Great features for Pro users like 10 bit color, 4 monitor ports, 16GB VRAM, Pro app settings via the pro drivers etc... "

IMG_4730.jpg.9a9fd40e422e9bcea994ada6c8226ff7.jpg

https://blog.maxwellrender.com/news/maxwell-4-gpu-frequently-asked-questions/

This is a pretty good article on all the considerations for GPU vs CPU rendering. Is it even worth worrying about a Provisional Render on a GPU if you've got a 32 or 64 thread CPU that can handle ray tracing, SSS, caustics more comprehensively and faster?maxwell.thumb.jpg.c589130110f6d2e34dd551d4ae4750d7.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

So just an update on my new Ryzen 2700x cpu\mobo I purchased last Black Friday.. I absolutely love the thing, a real workhorse.

First thing I did was to fire up 3D Coat, Blender and ZBrush.. All pretty much used every core available. Blender and ZB had a more even spread of the workload.

3DC also used up all the cores but the difference was that it also maxed out one of them.. User experience wise, definite improvement over my previous setup.

Something to note, when I installed Windows 10 I used an old ISO I had lying around and that ended up causing me issues \ long install times \ freezes.. After an hour+ in of installing Win10 updates and a few freezes, I just canceled everything and reformatted.. I ended up using the Windows media creator from MS to create a more recent build of Windows. It created a v1803 build of Windows.. Once I had that, it was probably one of the fastest Windows install I've ever done, under 8-10 mins and I was up and running with all drivers found. I updated with vendor specific drivers and then everything was solid.. I've had zero instability \ freezes \ crashes since Black Friday and have been running the rig non stop.. Overall I'm really impressed with it, would definitely buy again (hey it's half the price of Intel equiv).. Feel free to ask questions or run a specific task to get numbers..

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Which specific motherboard did you get?

What GPU are you using with that?

Sure thing... For the motherboard I bought the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra ($150Cdn BF deal). It was either that one or the ASUS PRIME X470-PRO.. Had my eye on both so when Black Friday came, price and availability was the driver for the purchase.

Ram I bought the G.Skil 3200 \ DDR4 16GB. The motherboard picked up the XMP memory profile right away and maxed the frequency at 3200.

For the GPU, I already had a decent one so I did not replace it. I'm running a Geforce GTX 1070 STRIX edition,  bought this one before all the bitcoin madness for $424 Cdn. After extensive reading on the 20xx series and all following the post you guys did, I thought it best to skip it.. RTX is just not mature enough to benefit from it and the new cards failure rates raised a red flag.

Edited by Nossgrr
  • Like 1

Thanks. Good to hear that your new rig is up and running; I'm without a viable modeling/texturing computer right now and I'm just waiting on the release of those AMD Radeon 3080's...

It totally sucks not being able to work in 3d coat etc. as you can well imagine.

20 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Thanks. Good to hear that your new rig is up and running; I'm without a viable modeling/texturing computer right now and I'm just waiting on the release of those AMD Radeon 3080's...

It totally sucks not being able to work in 3d coat etc. as you can well imagine.

That brings up an interesting question, would you be able to live without Cuda? Not only in 3DC but other apps as well? I'm going to take a long hard look at AMD's GPU offering but at the same time have to weight in if Cuda is still a big factor enough to stay with NVidia.. 

AMD has stated that they're going to skip RT-Raytracing for Navi, take a more of a wait and see approach.. Which means Navi could be very attractive price wise.. 

On 12/10/2018 at 1:53 PM, Nossgrr said:

That brings up an interesting question, would you be able to live without Cuda? Not only in 3DC but other apps as well? I'm going to take a long hard look at AMD's GPU offering but at the same time have to weight in if Cuda is still a big factor enough to stay with NVidia.. 

AMD has stated that they're going to skip RT-Raytracing for Navi, take a more of a wait and see approach.. Which means Navi could be very attractive price wise.. 

Good question. Back years ago here I was pretty obsessed with CUDA but after much questioning around here the verdict was that while implemented it wasn't being updated and that Andrew didn't feel it was really that worthwhile for the performance it gave.

Now I  may be wrong on this, and the real experts here may come and give me a good slap for spreading misinformation but that's my own recollection (from a conversation years ago).

If the NAVI comes out soon enough and really is the equivalent of a RTX 2070 for half the price I am so there. Final rendering is best done by CPU's period.