3DCoat Forums

Export for Lightwave ?

Klane

• 7 months later...

Hi Albert, honestly I've never used the applink, even though I've been using both programs for many years. I don't think it works anymore, especially in LW 2018. I usually just export the model with textures as an LWO then load it into LW. In 2018 everything seems to load perfectly. In earlier versions of LW you may need to connect the normal map in the Surface editor.

6 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I just did it about an hour ago. I saved out a retopo object as LWO, loaded into 2018 Modeler and continued working with it. With another project last week I exported a textured model from the paint room and used it in Layout.

OK.  Good to know.  Hadn't tried them for awhile as there were issues a while back.  I didn't understand why as 2018 can open the older lwo version, just not the other way around.  So no issues with the new surfacing system in 2018?

Layout
The LightWave scene format LWS has been incremented to take account of LightWave's new features. Previous versions of LightWave will not be able to load LightWave 2018 scenes, you will need to export in a previous version LWS format. 

source

3 hours ago, Ma3rk said:

OK.  Good to know.  Hadn't tried them for awhile as there were issues a while back.  I didn't understand why as 2018 can open the older lwo version, just not the other way around.  So no issues with the new surfacing system in 2018?

You can open 2018 LWO on previous lightwave versions, you would just need this plugin https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/lwo3-loader/ but I have never used it and who knows it is good enough or not.
The problem is with LWS, there is no plugin for that.

About the surfacing on 2018, you can load it from previous versions but it will not take any advantage of the new PBR features, LW will try to plug everything where it's suppose to be in this backwards compatible material that looks like previous versions. But it's just an approximation trying to give people something if they decide not to re-learn the new PBR workflow render features, but going the new features it's the recommended thing, even if some people say it's slower because rendering a cube will take longer, PBR is the future and it's a good future.

I still would use FBX and do all the manual work myself like I have always done it, at least this way I have more control and I don't have to deal with LW trying to convert from one version to another and while LWO might be okay, it will not take advantage of any new feature so it's kind of useless to use it.

• Like 1

FWIW, I still can't import an lwo made in Modeler (2018.0.06) into 3DC (2.8.20).  All other formats behave as expected though; obj, fbx, even stl.  I suspect that the workflow mention by philnolan3d actually saves out to the LWO2 which Modeler 2018 wouldn't have any issue opening. What Carlosan mentions though is the SCENE file. 

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Ahh this is depressing... I know LW 2020 is not exactly the most popular software anymore, but it would be great if 3DC could still do the least support possible to keep that program alive.  With 3DC, LW 2020 is a very powerful workflow still.  Especially for lowpoly games.

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 12:56 AM, Klane said:

Hi,

Now that Lightwave has finally released a new version, is there an export preset from 3dC to LW in our future?

Thanks

KL

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DCoat\data\ToolsPresets\ExtTools
OpenGL.xml

----------------------

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\ExportPresets

Lightwave2020.xml

----------------------

Source: lunarbor

image.jpeg

OpenGL.xml Lightwave2020.xml

• Thanks 2