3DCoat Forums
Heksagon

Textured Cylinder- help needed

Hello everybody.
I have a problem with making something really important for me and I can't find any tutorial for my idea.

I don't have much experience with 3D-Coat or any other 3D software (so yeah, noob questions alert).

I would be delighted if there was anyone who could help me.

My goal- I would like to make a textured cylider with a seamless texture (real geometry), using Alphas or Stencils, without any stretching etc.
I wonder if there is any good and fast way to achieve it.

I'm really sory if it's a silly or way-too-noobish question.

Cylinder.jpg

When using stencils/smart materials you can change the mapping type via a dropdown menu in the Preview options panel (use the Settings button to access controls for texture scaling and positioning)

3DCCylindricalMapping1.thumb.jpg.261d6c3f108e76564f0ee2fca9eceaef.jpg

Once you have your stencil mapping set up correctly select the  Extrude tool (or a similar tool) with Stroke mode set to one of the selection/lasso tools and make sure that your Extrude Direction is set to Vertex Normal and that Ignore Back Faces is turned off in the Strokes panel, then drag a selection over your object.

3DCCylindricalMapping2.thumb.jpg.d1e2b0519a9d632d632f4347ebe76654.jpg

• Like 1

It worked. You're awesome, thank you very very much!

Small question: how many triangles do you have on your object? I'm struggling with the details on mine.

1 hour ago, Heksagon said:

It worked. You're awesome, thank you very very much!

Small question: how many triangles do you have on your object? I'm struggling with the details on mine.

I normally settle for something between 1 million and 4 million triangles (the cylinder in that example was around 1.5 million I believe).