3DCoat Forums

Video card upgrade

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Presently I have a Zotac Nvidia GTX 760 TI 4GB but only has a 128 bit memory interface.

Upgrading to a GTX 1080 TI is off the wall for me due to the jump in card prices due to the bitcoin mining craze.

It is my opinion one of the most important considerations is memory interface and my present card is throttled by the 128 bit interface.

So what is the more important considerations when upgrading (other than price/budge). Cuda cores, memory interface, amount of memory, clock speed)? Is Nvidia still preferred over ATI\AMD?

What modestly priced car $400 or less would be an improvement over my present card?

My system is a computer I built using an I7-4770S, Gigabyte mobo and 32gbs of DDR3 memory.

• Advanced Member

Wow...what a dummy I am...this is what I get for posting while I'm at work... I meant "Video Card Upgrade"...typo of the year award I deserve...

Can one of the mods edit the topic from Memory Card Upgrade  to Video Card Upgrade.

Truly sorry for the stupidity on my part...

• Advanced Member

It's definitely a tough time to upgrade because of the situation you mentioned with crypto miners, in my case I have a GTX 1070 and it can handle pretty much anything I throw at it.

In a pinch, I've seen some good numbers come out of the GTX1060, that's the lowest specced card I would consider, it would still be a good upgrade from your 760.

• Reputable Contributor

You might try a GTX 980Ti, as it has the 384bit memory bus, 6GB VRAM and performs identically to the GTX 1070. You could probably find one on eBay well below the 1070, but there are a lot of jackwagons trying to charge crazy #s for the last generation or two, no matter what card it is...all because of these crypto-currency miners. You just have to do a little digging to sort through all that trash.

I hope that that market crashes hard, so all this nonsense will stop.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Video card upgrade