3DCoat Forums

is it possible in 3d coat?

glmr

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, glmr said:

I know. But marking seams for high-poly models is a kind of pixel-hunting.

To be honest, you shouldn't be doing UV's on a high poly model, IMO...but on a low poly retopo/target mesh. Unwrapping will suck using unfold algorithms, no matter which app you edit UV's in. The lower the density, the better the unwrap result. High Poly = High suckage level. Low Poly = Low/No suckage level. :D

2 hours ago, Falconius said:

Use the UV Path tool.  To me that zbrush video looks more complicated than UV's in 3D Coat which are very straightforward. 

If you have the Mark Seams tool selected you also have the option to use Auto Seams and 3d coat will just do the UV's for you.

UV Path tool doesn't work correctly with high-poly also

2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

To be honest, you shouldn't be doing UV's on a high poly model, IMO...but on a low poly retopo/target mesh. Unwrapping will suck using unfold algorithms, no matter which app you edit UV's in. The lower the density, the better the unwrap result. High Poly = High suckage level. Low Poly = Low/No suckage level. :D

I must use high-poly for high-resolution rendering

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, glmr said:

I must use high-poly for high-resolution rendering

That's why you add a Subdivision modifier before rendering, in your host 3D app. Work with a low poly asset all the way through animation > add SubD's prior to rendering. Just pointing out the fact that it's always a good practice to do your UV's while your model is in a low poly state. The video you used for reference in ZBrush...try that on a model with 100k polys, in ZBrush. The mesh he was unwrapping was in a low poly state. You can see that at the end of the video.