3DCoat Forums

Substance Designer + 3DCoat?

LucaFox

Hi guys,

I hope the question doesn't sound too silly, in that case, pardon me for my noobness! As you know I'm still relatively new to the software, and in these days I'm studying the smart materials abilities of 3DC. My two questions are very simple and straightforward: 

- Can I create smart materials/materials in Substance Designer and then import and use them in 3DC?

- Does it make any sense? I mean, does 3DC smart materials editor has any flaws or lack, or I can just craft the craziest, cartoonish or hyperrealistic materials?

Thank you for your time! ^-^

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes to both.

For 1 you need the exported textures to create a new pbr material in 3d coat , as you cant import the sbsar or sbs straight to 3D Coat.

For 2 you can create any type of material in 3D Coat.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Michael for your response!

I'm studying right now how to create smart materials in 3DC thanks to the official channel, it looks pretty straightforward!

I've checked your stuff Micheal, and it's crazy! Very very good job, my best compliments. What I'm not sure I fully understand is: if 3DC is capable of create any type of material, which are the reasons that make one decide to create them in Substance Designer and then to import them in 3DC? Is Substance Designer easier to use or what?

Thanks again for your time! :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

You need pbr textures in order to create a full pbr material in 3dc.  Without textures you can create procedural materials  in 3dc but with limited functions to use / replicate a material.  Once you complete the tutorial you are watching you will understand what i say here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Studied and watched all videos I could, it was very intersting and taught me a lot! The only bad thing is that there's no sss functions inside 3DCoat, apparently :( I saw a video where a guy built an ice smart material, but he used some unofficial build back in 2015. 

The only thing I didn't get is how you import smart materials! I downloaded few of them, but couldn't find any "import smart material" button!