3DCoat Forums
Exsulator

How to make mirrored copy of selection?

Okay I`m sorry for asking something so basic, but I just can`t find a good way to solve this

I made an object supposed to be symmetrical (fish tail), worked for a while without symmetry - and now I want to select the part I worked on, and simply mirror it along an axis of my choosing. The result should be a completely symmetrical object (and I want to discard the part I didn`t work on). Once mirrored, the object must be merged to one without seams.

So I could copy it and then put it fairly accurately in place with transform tool, but that`s lame and what I really want is something like Maya`s "Menu - Edit - Duplicate special" functionality, which easily lets you make duplicates, with advanced control of mirroring.

You working in the sculpt room?  If so there is a Symm Copy option under the geometry menu.  To use it turn symmetry on, and then turn on whatever planes you want it to copy to and then hit the button.  It tends to copy the object side you last worked on, so if it copies the wrong way just hit undo alter a bit of the object on the side you want copied, hit undo again and then use it.

Edit:  Sorry just noticed the other part of your question.  If you want to save that part on the other side use the split tool and select that part into a new object, and then use symm copy and then merge that part back.

Edited by Falconius
  • Like 2