3DCoat Forums

System Crash Baking AO

Hello

I suffer sever system crashes when I bake AO, but also under other unidentifiable situations.

This makes it almost impossible to use 3D Coat.

system specifications:

Dell Xeon Precise Tower 7910 20 Corre

XEON e5-2604 v4 @ 2.4GHZ

80Gig Ram 

Dual Geforce GTX 980Ti

Windows 10 pro

3D Coat 4.8.10

Problem occurs in 3D Coat OpenGL and DirectX

Report:

3DCoat seems to use my graphic cards on a special high level

monitor goes up to high performance and temperature

then it crashes my whole system, leading to a instant shutdown/restart

this occurs under normal usage after a while and  always when baking AO

I recently changed the TDR values of the registry to 60 (as recommended by Substance Painter) but this didn't solve the problem.

I will attach a video showing the process to illustrate the problem

It would be great to hear if this is a known issue, for it only occurs on this machine (Xeon, Dual GTX)

Thnx for help

Martin

Edited by Martin Maximilian Michl
  • Like 1

Hello Martin Maximilian Michl!
The failure of your computer arises when you load the graphics card, the problem is related to your hardware.

The cause of the problem may be:
1. Power supply is insufficient.
2. Overheating of the video card (insufficient cooling).
3. The video card was artificially overclocked.

Other unknown reasons are possible.

Perhaps it will help reinstall drivers, or reduce the clock speed of the video

• Reputable Contributor

That's right. It could be a bad/corrupt graphics card driver, but what it really appears to be, IMO, is the system is overclocked and any heavy load crashes. The best way to be 100% sure it isn't 3D Coat is to run a stress test of the CPU using a free app like Prime95, and there are some stress/performance tests for graphics cards, online as well. Alternatively, you could just render something with Blender Cycles....one in GPU mode and the other in CPU only mode. It should stress them long enough to crash your system, if it is indeed hardware.

Halfway through this video, he has the same thing occur, when playing a video game. If you have multiple graphic cards in your system and 700W or less Power Supply, it might not have enough power to operate under a heavy load:

• Reputable Contributor

...after looking at your system specs, I think I see the problem. Off the shelf systems are NOTORIOUS for having weak power supplies. They are only designed to handle the hardware they come with and that is all. Even if you have a second expansion slot on your motherboard, that doesn't mean Dell provided a PSU equipped to handle a second card. I build my own systems because off the shelf systems have the cheapest parts possible. The Power Supply and motherboard are typically the cheapest they can get by with.

The first thing I would do is power you system off > unplug the power cord > take the 2nd card out of your system > test and see if your system crashes, again. 

• 1 month later...