3DCoat Forums

MartianGirl

Hi everyone,

I have taught myself how to use 3d packages, and I have been making models for games, but as I am self taught I am not sure I am doing it correctly.I see other peoples uv/normal maps and they all look fabulously clean etc. Mine have all sorts of stuff going on. I have looked at my workflow, tried and tested lots of different variants but they always look rubbish. I do freelance work for a local company and they seem to be of the opinion its okay, but I feel like its the blind leading the blind.As I have only done work for them, I am not sure another employer would see it that way.

My  workflow :

High Poly model in Zbrush

3Dcoat to retopo and uv 

Substance painter for baking and painting.

(Client wants me to bake and paint in sub painter)

I get nasty projection issues in sub painter- I have just been in 3Dcoat and done the lowpoly naming and also fiddled with the uv map padding /spacing but I still get issues.

My Character is wearing lots of armour and when I zoom in I can see lots of artifacting and I know its because everything is so close together. How do I get a clean projection? Is there something I am missing in 3Dcoat or my process?

Any  advice /help would be gratefully appreciated and hopefullyI will be able to work for more than one client.:)

Here is my normal map at last bake

Thank you in advance.

Test-bake uv33.jp2

Hi AbnRanger,

So I can go through each part and readjust and bake separately or bake by naming. I think I would need to use bake by naming, as I need all the uvs on one map for all the different parts. Am I right or is there a  step I need to do after this to get everything on one map?

Thanks again for the video, I found it really helpful.:)