3DCoat Forums

Comparing sculpting tools

Ruud

Hey everyone,

Is there a post / video / list / ... which explains in detail how the sculpting tools compare. The tool-tips are nice but many of them feel like they can produce the same results and i would like to have an idea of there individual purposes. For example in Surface mode, when should i use the draw, clay, buildup or extrude tool? 

I'm trying to optimize my workflow and i understand that there probably isn't a tool specific for a single purpose but at this point i worry that i might "ruin" sculpts or get a better/faster result by choosing the most optimized one.

Grtz,

Ruud

Edited by Ruud

• Reputable Contributor

I would stick to Surface mode for 90% (if not more) of your sculpting. More brushes. More control. More Features in the brushes (generally). Better performance and brush feel. To work on your rough forms, the Clay, Build, Rapid, Extrude or Mud brushes will work best. For more details, the Draw, Pinch and Gum brushes are best. The Gum brush is best for adding high-frequency details like Skin pores and cracks. Experiment with the brushes in the PRESET panel. You'll probably find some that you really like. You can drag them to the top of the panel or leave them in groups. I'm hoping Andrew will add some kind of group system in the Presets Panel, so users can store multiple variations of a brush in one group.

Might help if others contact him (support@3dcoat.com) and ask for this, too, because I have asked him multiple times, already.

• Reputable Contributor

I’ve gone back and forth on using voxel mode or surface mode. My current workflow is start in voxels to medium detail then switch to surface mode. The preset panel is the way to go on creating the style of brushes you want. The installed set is great to start with though it is only for surface mode. I created my own presets for voxel mode plus there is a limited use of some surface mode brushes while in voxel mode.

The reason I like voxel mode to start is that I do not have to worry about polygons intersectioning themselves as I build form at the start.

That is the beauty of 3DC , it will mold to your needs and workflow and not force you in only one direction.  AbnRanger and me might differ in part of our workflows but again that is the beauty of 3DC, we can and still arrive at the same destination.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

You guys don't find that working in surface mode will sometimes have bugs and leave holes?  I find my self switching back and forth and if I know I'm doing a function that often tears the mesh, like the pose tool, I try to remember to do it in Voxel mode.  Reason being that I have to switch to voxels to repair the holes anyways.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Falconius said:

You guys don't find that working in surface mode will sometimes have bugs and leave holes?  I find my self switching back and forth and if I know I'm doing a function that often tears the mesh, like the pose tool, I try to remember to do it in Voxel mode.  Reason being that I have to switch to voxels to repair the holes anyways.

I don't get holes that often, and if I do, there are some good tools to quickly fix them. I used to be in favor of sculpting with Voxels as far as I could and then switch to Surface mode, for the higher levels of detail. But then there was a LOT of improvement in Surface mode brushes around the 4.1 release. They are much superior to Voxel brushes in just about every way.

Some of the Voxel Brushes are still better, such as the FILL brush, but that is because it is quickly filling the voids with volume. It doesn't need refined brush feel and control. It's just a no-frills, brute force volume filling tool and Voxel brushes/tools used to quickly add or subtract volume will be a better option. The Muscles tool is a good example. It's MUCH faster and easier to use than in Surface mode. That's because it is quickly adding volume, rather than manipulating a surface. I have a simple rule of thumb I use when deciding whether to use Voxel mode or Surface mode:

If you need more control over VOLUME, choose Voxels. And if you need more Surface level control, choose Surface mode.

There is one exception to that rule. CUTTING/SUBTRACTING in Surface mode. It's even better than Voxels at that task and provides exceptionally sharp edges along a cut (due to a Dynamic Subdivision routine built into the operation). Merging objects together is almost always better done in Voxels. It's way faster and trouble free.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I generally to not do any large scale work in Surface mode, leaving it for the final details.  Large scale transforms etc. I do in voxel mode. 

Voxel mode for starting and working up to at least medium detail. 

Surface mode for the final details. 

Again though it is an artist's call and depends upon your models, workflow and final use of the model.