3D Coat Forums
Haunted

3dcoat PBR to Blender Principled BSDF Add-On

Hello 

Thanks, @Haunted for the great addon.

had a quick question can this be used with the current blender applink?

I mean use the current applink for updating mesh and use yours for the material?

Edit:

I just read you are working a new version that will cover mesh exports too, looking forward to that.

but will me approach work till it's released?

Thanks a lot 

Regards

Ahmed

Edited by Barracuda

@Haunted I was just wondering if there was any news on this so I came over to check the thread. Hope your progress is going well and please know that there is no less enthusiasm in my wish to test the beta one of these days. 

On 4/20/2018 at 8:14 PM, Barracuda said:

Hello 

Thanks, @Haunted for the great addon.

had a quick question can this be used with the current blender applink?

I mean use the current applink for updating mesh and use yours for the material?

Edit:

I just read you are working a new version that will cover mesh exports too, looking forward to that.

but will me approach work till it's released?

Hi @Barracuda,

if the original old AppLink works for you, you can import a mesh from 3D-Coat and import the PBR textures with my AddOn. Shouldn't be a problem.

You have to export the PBR textures manually as described , though. 

Hey @unity2k,

i am still on it, it's just my time management is a little bit bad at the moment (Private stuff and other things in my pipeline). When everything works out I will be back on track this weekend. Hopefully the beta will then be ready to test too :) Depends on how time consuming it will be to import multiple materials into Blender and keeping everything synchronized.

It's always annoying when the real life comes by and robs your time :P

Edited by Haunted

Just a short update. It's not finished yet but I am still at it. I am missing a lot of free time lately. As of now I finally managed to get the image textures out of Blender.

In case you create your PBR texture with Blender first, the images will NOT be copied to the Exchange folder. 3DC will read them from their original location. Blender stores images in the .blend file (if not changed by the user manually). But I think it will work out. I could copy the images to the exchange folder and reassign them within Blender but I think this is not necessary.

If you paint your 3D model with 3DC first, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

What now:

1. Get 3DC to read all Blender Materials and Texture Data
  2. Export all files from 3DC to Blender.

It's not that much left, hope I will find the time super fast to finally throw out the Beta!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. 

I have some bad news. Since I struggle with some personal issues and some other stuff I will not finish the plugin in the near future. 

I posted my result on GitHub here: https://github.com/Irrgeist/3D-Coat-Blender-AppLink . So anyone who has some spare time may fork it and optimize it. As of now, import to 3D Coat works (just the mesh).

There are functions for detecting the different textures in the applied Blender materials. The best entry point is to check out the operators.py (Function ExecuteImport and ExecuteExport).

If anyone wants to try this, simply download the code from GitHub as a .Zip and import it using the Blender AddOn-Manager (as a zip). Make sure to deactivate my other plugin.

Afaik there is another dev who is willing to update his AddOn, but not before Blender 2.8 has been released.

I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but I need to take a break from everything right now since stuff goes down hill atm.

See you soon! :wacko:

• Like 1

Haunted, why not try Patreon or Kickstarter to drum up support to make this add-on? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sign up to support the development! Put up you need 1000 USD month or so - whatever - and give the add-on away to those who sponsor you, and sell it to everyone else for a donation!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, fractionalist said:

Haunted, why not try Patreon or Kickstarter to drum up support to make this add-on? I'm sure there are plenty of people who would sign up to support the development! Put up you need 1000 USD month or so - whatever - and give the add-on away to those who sponsor you, and sell it to everyone else for a donation!

Hey,

sounds like a nice idea, but I can't find the time and head to put more spare time into the development atm. Besides that I am not allowed to have a side job (based on my employment contract I am not allowed to have a side job in the same field, and since I am a full time software developer/IT project manager there's no chance to make money with it x_X)

Maybe someone can put up a Patreon to hire another dev or wait until the dev of the original AppLink updates his Add-On. :/ Maybe things get better here and I can come back, but as of now it's rather difficult.

Haunted, don't be sorry. You have done great work. Life goes first. All the best for you.

Huanted, you're a true artist, why don't you quit your day job and become a true artist like me, and live on fresh air and sunshine like the rest of us? Come to China, I have a great couch you can crash on - and lots of beer in the refrigerator - life is rich!

It's a real shame you can't finish the plugin Haunted, but massive Kudos for going as far as you have with it and hope things get better for you soon!  Hopefully the interest generated here may spur the 3DC dev team into updating the current plugin into something useful & more robust