3DCoat Forums

Ideas for creating plane base hair?

Haunted

Hi,

I want to try to create a hairstyle in sculpt mode using planes. I tried the Curves tool but there is no option to create flat plains. Or is it?

Do you have any idea how to achieve something like this (just the hair):

Hair_uncharted2-chloe-wires.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

There are ways...

Retopo room. Create one polygon---Select tool ---- select edges---- Select an edge--- Transform tool--- press enter to extrude,  Rinse and Repeat. Turn off auto snap for this kind of work so the retopo mesh will not snap to the sculpt room object.

Clone tool to duplicate when needed. Transform tool to  position and rotate plus taper the polgons. All the retopo tools are available here. 

Relax brush used when needed.

Below is not necessary but you can do further positioning.

Sculpt room---- Create a surface model layer---Import tool - Import retopo mesh---Move tool---Conform Retopo mesh.

Too much typing to put all workflow details but very possible to make polygon hair. Like any new tool, takes some practice..

Picture not shown for quality but to demo the above.  You may extrapolate from there all that is possible.

Edges.PNG

Conform.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Thanks 1

Hi digman,

thanks for the tip! I tried it this way, but in comparison to Blenders tools it's rather unpractical, at least for me. I found a neat way in Blender to achieve what I want to do :)

It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.f568cb8be053d4f0e915236013e1b630.png

With surface snapping to the primitive around the head and proportional editing it's a rather quick workflow for me. Guess I will stick with that :)