3DCoat Forums

normal maps

joshy

i would like to know whats the difference between normal map for max and normal map for maya. is it possible to convert normal map for max/lightwave to maya in 3d coat....also how can i know whether 3d coat is taking my normal map as for maya or lightwave while importing in 3d coat.......i get into problems with the normal maps along the seams..... can anyone suggest any solution for this .... thanks in advance ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

The difference between a Maya / 3ds normal map is that the green channel is inverted. You can convert back and forth in photoshop easily by selecting a channel and inverting it. As far as the normal maps along the seams, that sounds like it's a problem with the UVs facing the wrong way (this was a bug in the 3d coat unwrapper that is now fixed (i have not tested this yet, though, since I mainly use another program to unwrap UVs)). The issue an solution is explained in this thread:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2180