3DCoat Forums

Depth maps

castaneda

• Advanced Member

Can 3d coat work with depth maps? Not talking about normal maps but depth maps that affect the geometry after retopology.Trying to do some greebling modeling. I know I can use alphas for that but the retopology is a nightmare. Could also do it through stenciling but still have the same problem. I know zbrush  has that capability; you can apply depth to a topology mesh. But id rather be able to do it in 3d coat. Simply, is there a way to apply a depth map to affect geometry to a sculpt after it's been retopologized and uv'd? In 3d coat?

Thanks for any response.

• Reputable Contributor

Here are two more ways. They really do not alter the topology of the mesh as micro-vertex does.

When in per pixel mode, select show displaced mesh and  adjust the tessellation for better visual quality. You can use this method though it is for visual quality viewing.  A displacement map can be exported. Check to see if it meets your needs. It was not really designed for this purpose but some use it. Read the tool tip.

Retopo Room---- Bake for "Bake w/ Per Pixel painting / w Displacement. Be sure to read the tool tip. This method needs a few sub-divisions when baking to work correctly.

You will just need to test the 3 ways and see which one meets your needs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI ---- Look at the last picture. Mico -Vertex mode ----- Millions of polygons is the internal amount that 3DC will base the quality of your displacement map off of. This should be at least  2x of the texture resolution. The display mesh resolution is what you will see in the viewport. It is best to subdivide a few times for Mico-Vertex Mode. 

You can export the low-polygon mesh though you are subdividing for the paint room no matter the method chosen.

per pixel.png

baking.png

millions.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks, Digman. This, I hope, will get me closer to the goal of greeble modeling without undue stress LOL. However I have come up with another problem. Maybe you can help again. Now every time I try to import for per pixel painting I get an almost ghosted object. Messed with the lighting and came up with a darker object but its like its showing up without the shader that was applied to it. Its not showing the clay shader. Any ideas whats happening? Thanks again. See the uploaded images.

CaptureA.PNG

CaptureB.PNG

CaptureC.PNG

Edited by castaneda
to notify of replies

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, castaneda said:

ok. heres a file. Ill try to send a couple? These are retopoed objects to be painted. This happens with any object I try to bring in for per pixel painting. Cant figure out what's going on. Thanks for checking it out. 

Those are just the mtl text files that are associated with the obj files. You need to include the obj files as well. 

• Reputable Contributor

Possible cause:

The below is for importing for Per Pixel Painting and not baking from the Retopo Room

If you said "Keep UV" for Per Pixel painting when there is no UV set created for that model then the model will load very close to what I see in your pictures. 

Choose Automap upon import or use the 3DC tools to create a uv set for the model first. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goes with my last post.

If you still me to look at the obj files, then include them in your next post. 

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

3DC beta version 4.8.11 Opengl.

I downloaded both obj files and they import correctly into the paint room using Per Pixel Painting. Picture shows the greeble model. 

Another cause might be you are in Flat shade. Look at the picture. Smooth Shade is the default view. 

If that is not it, I am unsure of what is causing the problem at this time.

correct.PNG

flat.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the help Digman.  I'm now seeing it happening even in sculpt room. I'm thinking it has something to do with default shader that I might have messed with and lost the original default shader. I deleted 3d coat and re downloaded the program and its still doing the same thing. clicking on smooth shade does not do anything. No change. Know how I can get a 3d coat default shader? I'm carefully trying to edit shaders to match what I remember the default one to be. Even so, a new shader cant be placed on an import for per pixel painting. This is frustrating. But anyway, extreme thank you for helping me try to figure it out.