3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Normal Map Export from 3D Coat to Maya

David BK

What are the proper export settings for normal maps from 3D Coat to Maya (Arnold IOR)?

In File > Preferences I have tried using numerous normal settings (Software Preset, Calculation Method, Swap TB), but I still feel like my normals are looking inverted in the Maya Arnold render.

What is the proper normal map export workflow?

I am sending support ticket to invert the green channel output by default when choosing Maya Normal Map style in the Preferences.

To invert the green channel for normal maps to appear correctly you can try a workaround:

Go to "Edit" - "Preferences", find "Normal Map Export", the default standard is "Maya, Blender", you can select "3DS-Max, LW".

The difference between these two Normal Map standard is that green channel is inverted.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

I am sending support ticket to invert the green channel output by default when choosing Maya Normal Map style in the Preferences.

To invert the green channel for normal maps to appear correctly you can try a workaround:

Go to "Edit" - "Preferences", find "Normal Map Export", the default standard is "Maya, Blender", you can select "3DS-Max, LW".

The difference between these two Normal Map standard is that green channel is inverted.

If you invert the green channel by default when using Maya / Blender Normal Map in preferences then your normal maps in Blender will be incorrect. 

Better to leave this up to the user with a setting in preferences to flip the green channel or in the export panel when needed.

Edited by digman

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Normal Map Export from 3D Coat to Maya