3DCoat Forums

Users, @Andrew Shpagin and developers of 3D-Coat .... Being sincere ... What do you think?

Rygaard

A big advantage is the pricing policy of 3D Coat. ZBrush with 800 dollars for hobby users very much and ZBrush Core ($150) is very limited. The amateur version of 3D Coat for 99 dollars is much better than ZBrush Core and the pro version is significantly cheaper. Unfortunately many people still use cracks for ZBrush and professional artists would buy ZBrush if it would cost even 2000 dollars.

Edited by Spacetime

• Advanced Member

@SpacetimeZbrushCore is near useless.  It's cripplingly limited, not just "very".  For casual users there are cheaper options, or Blender, a free option and indeed other free sculpting options.  And even for casual users it's not quite enough.   So I'm not surprised to hear the amateur version for 3D Coat is better.

7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

It gets a bit frustrating to continue to hear "It's cumbersome to Extrude" in the Retopo Workspace....and "I have to hit the Commit Extrusion button every time." No, you don't. Use your hotkeys and watch the videos I posted. I didn't add them into previous posts for nothing. I did so to help show what can be done and to dispel some misconceptions.

I agree with what others have said, here, in that it is good to have a competent set of Polymodeling tools in 3D Coat, so that much of the task can be done in one app, but it's probably best to use 3D Coat in concert with the Modeling toolsets in one's host 3D app. IMO, more attention should go to bringing Sculpting very close to ZB's level (they set the bar very high years ago), and continue to improve the Paint Workspace.

I think Andrew will try to do that and add some more sizzle to the Retopo tools (Sketch Retopo tool functionality?), for V5. That is a lot to chew on, even for him. When he is working in the Retopo workspace, that would be a good time to make tool suggestions, but right now, I think he is trying to finish the new Curves tool (replacement of the current legacy Curves tool) and get started on Sculpt layers.

Yes. I watched the videos.

The Zmodeller tangent is just that a tangent, no one here thinks such a thing is necessary for 3D Coat to step up their game via Zbrush, or even more so that they ought to focus on that as opposed to all the other things that would be far more beneficial.

Again one of my wishes would be something akin to Live Booleans, I remember someone here posting an awesome video showing the versatility of the Vox Hide tool.  Unfortunately for a mere mortal like myself it's not always easy to envision exactly how such operations might appear.  If there was some way to do live Vox Boolean Hide that would be epic.  Or maybe a way to preview the effects of a "Subtract From ..." operation, with a gizmo to make minor corrections before committing.  (Yes, I realize you can undo, make adjustments and try again if you don't like the results)  Edit:  Or since we already in essence have additive layers (just make 'em all in a sub tree and merge when satisfied) make it so you can switch a vox object to negative.  Intersect and the intersect opposite are not really necessary.  Negative would be the big get.

Edited by Falconius

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Falconius said:

@SpacetimeZbrushCore is near useless.  It's cripplingly limited, not just "very".  For casual users there are cheaper options, or Blender, a free option and indeed other free sculpting options.  And even for casual users it's not quite enough.   So I'm not surprised to hear the amateur version for 3D Coat is better.

Yes. I watched the videos.

The Zmodeller tangent is just that a tangent, no one here thinks such a thing is necessary for 3D Coat to step up their game via Zbrush, or even more so that they ought to focus on that as opposed to all the other things that would be far more beneficial.

Again one of my wishes would be something akin to Live Booleans, I remember someone here posting an awesome video showing the versatility of the Vox Hide tool.  Unfortunately for a mere mortal like myself it's not always easy to envision exactly how such operations might appear.  If there was some way to do live Vox Boolean Hide that would be epic.  Or maybe a way to preview the effects of a "Subtract From ..." operation, with a gizmo to make minor corrections before committing.  (Yes, I realize you can undo, make adjustments and try again if you don't like the results)  Edit:  Or since we already in essence have additive layers (just make 'em all in a sub tree and merge when satisfied) make it so you can switch a vox object to negative.  Intersect and the intersect opposite are not really necessary.  Negative would be the big get.

That's a pretty good idea. You already have a quasi-interactive boolean function with the MOVEABLE STAMP Draw mode, when using something like the EXTRUDE brush. Just invert it (or hold down the CTRL Key). Perhaps Andrew can enable VOX HIDE functionality with Primitives and Import tool

Will be nice to add an interactive and non-destructive boolean state -close to eye icon- to every layer: add, subtract, intersect, split.

The Boolean process must be done hierarchically from top to bottom

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Not a feature per se, but one thing that's really missing in my opinion is a proper written documentation. Nothing against the videos, they are done very well, but in my workflow I use 3D Coat now and then for specific tasks and I'd wager that's the case with many users who do 3D professionally. 

This means I need something to get me up to speed quickly and directly and I might forget things between uses. The tooltipps are great for this as a first step, but an up to date documentation with workflow examples would go a long way. The current documentation is often lacking in that regard.

The problem with the videos is the time they take to watch, they might be outdated at times, valuable tipps might be buried somewhere in them without this being apparent from the description. Of course they have advantages too (and like said they are very well done) but they can't replace a full written documentation in my opinion.

As far as features are concerned I agree that sculpting layers are missing (I can't imagine that would work for voxels, though) and I'd also say that sculpting, painting and retopo should be the main focus of the software.

• Contributor
6 hours ago, Findus said:

Not a feature per se, but one thing that's really missing in my opinion is a proper written documentation. Nothing against the videos, they are done very well, but in my workflow I use 3D Coat now and then for specific tasks and I'd wager that's the case with many users who do 3D professionally. 

This means I need something to get me up to speed quickly and directly and I might forget things between uses. The tooltipps are great for this as a first step, but an up to date documentation with workflow examples would go a long way. The current documentation is often lacking in that regard.

The problem with the videos is the time they take to watch, they might be outdated at times, valuable tipps might be buried somewhere in them without this being apparent from the description. Of course they have advantages too (and like said they are very well done) but they can't replace a full written documentation in my opinion.

As far as features are concerned I agree that sculpting layers are missing (I can't imagine that would work for voxels, though) and I'd also say that sculpting, painting and retopo should be the main focus of the software.

I agree with you.
Please, you do not get me wrong, I know people documenting the 3D-Coat, make great efforts and has much work to do the documentation, but...
It has happened to me to look for details about the operation of a tool or program features in the manual and, unfortunately, it was not very well explained and almost no detailed information or methods (examples) are found.
Often the material is not up to date ...
There is an online manual, but I confess I already gave up on it ...

It is complicated to document a program that is constantly changing, perfecting and adding functionality. Although some features are already matured, but still, they are subject to certain transformations.
Surely, this is not an excuse to be given not to keep the documentation updated ...
I stopped to think now .... You already imagined, the person who is doing this documentation work, so he/she has just left everything perfect, then when he/she will see, changes were made in 3D-Coat and he/she will have to redo the documentation work!

Regarding the videos, I understand what you mean! They are very valuable and essential, but many tips and features will go unnoticed because most people do not have the patience to watch the videos!
You might even think that people making explanatory videos should put the topics covered in the video in the subject of the videos. But at the same time, to make a video is very laborious, it takes time to be done and I believe that there is still a deadline to be delivered the video. Therefore, I understand that people who make videos do not have the time to list the subjects covered.
Sometimes the videos become outdated and this is completely normal! The methodologies covered were from older versions of 3D-Coat (which is undergoing constant changes).

In my opinion, the 3D-Coat online manual should always be up to date, with explanations and examples of the tools and features of the program. (As if it were the bible of the program).

At the same time, videos are essential and vital to me.
What could complement the videos was something I've already suggested in past posts about performing Streams addressing various subjects and techniques about 3D-Coat.
It would be a way for the community to get involved and help each other with techniques and tips. This is a great way to document 3D-Coat!
I know that in today's world, the price of information is valuable and / or people often do not have time to do it.

If Streams happen by people who know the program, they would not need to do a job like Michelangelo or Rodan. They could introduce Stream to doing the demonstrations with a ball or head that comes in the program itself ... just demonstrating techniques, functionalities, tips (sort of: Did you know ...?!).

Regarding Sculpt Layers, I believe it will not be used in Voxels, but in Surface mode.

• Contributor
16 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Will be nice to add an interactive and non-destructive boolean state -close to eye icon- to every layer: add, subtract, intersect, split.

The Boolean process must be done hierarchically from top to bottom

That would be perfect an interactive and non-destructive boolean system!!!

Just for a notion the following video:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I agree that the sculpting, retopoing / baking and painting are the core parts of 3DC. These areas are first to me to be developed and improved.

Modeling in the retopo room would not be excluded but in the development schedule with the knowledge that those 3 are first. 

The first 3 areas are the main reasons people buy 3DC. Major improvements in these areas would offer inventives to buy or upgrade. There are some major improvements

in those 3 areas slated for Version 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
5 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Point is 3DC’s user interface needs serious reorganization to improve workflow and remove annoyances ?

I agree 100% with you! You said few words! But said everything!

I do not know if you all remember the old Blender interface.
I know a lot of Blender users would like to further improve the Blender interface, but if you compare the Blender 2.4 interface to the 2.8 interface, you'll clearly see a brutal difference (for the better).

I'll quickly tell you my story with Blender ...

At the time of blender 2.4, when I tried to learn to use the program, I looked at the interface completely confused and even then, I tried to learn how Blender works through some videos tutorials.
Conclusion: At the same time, I gave up and I never wanted to know about this program again!
I found it extremely confusing, not intuitive, unorganized, complicated to learn and difficult to use!

After a while, by irony of fate, I rediscovered Blender with a new interface and completely different! In fact, I thought it was another 3D program !!! And to my surprise it was Blender! At the same time, I tried to learn more about the program, I started to learn how to use it and Blender became one of my main programs!

The interface and the current organization of 3D-Coat has evolved in relation to the versions of 3D-Coat 3.1 - 3.3.

In my opinion, 3D-Coat should rethink its concept in relation to the interface and organization of the program. Currently, it's ok! But, it is still confusing.
I believe it needs to solidify even more and better organize the way the program is used so there are fewer messes and better workflow!

I know we can customise the program. But, still not ideal.

At the moment, I'm going to list some customizations that I miss in the interface:

- The ability to create custom windows / tabs (with shortcuts). In these windows, we could insert (or drag) any tools or features of 3D-Coat that we wanted! And these windows could fit anywhere on the interface.

- The possibility of placing any tools or features of 3D-Coat that we use most in the program interface itself.

- The ability to create or choose smaller icons for the Brushes or program features. Organizing them any way we wanted!

- The possibility of being able to list the brushes in the horizontal direction and at the same time with an option of not showing the name of the brush.

- Currently, the Brushes session is fixed on the left side of the screen in all rooms ...
The possibility of being able to move the session of Brushes to any place (left side, right, top, base) and direction (vertical, horizontal) in the interface.

- The possibility that when a window floats on the screen, we could add other windows. And at the same time, take control and arrange the windows any way we want inside that floating window on the screen. This floating window could be hidden or revealed according to the use of a shortcut.

blender_old_to_now.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I rather have them focus on the main tools issues and improve  them before worried about the interface or something conveniences. There are tools they need to be invented or improve to fill up the gap in modeling right now.

of course if they have resource to fix those thing then it would be awesome. lol.

Edited by TLE

• Contributor
44 minutes ago, TLE said:

I rather have them focus on the main tools issues and improve  them before worried about the interface or something conveniences. There are tools they need to be invented or improve to fill up the gap in modeling right now.

of course if they have resource to fix those thing then it would be awesome. lol.

My biggest focus when I created this Post was that we were able to get great features and tools in 3D-Coat. As well as tool enhancements that already exist in 3D-Coat!

I, particularly since I already have a certain understanding of how 3D-Coat works and I'm already accustomed to the interface, I had no intention of suggesting interface changes or the way 3D-Coat works.
But if we stop to think a little, these changes or increments in relation to the interface and the operation of 3D-Coat should be considered as well. After all, it is the basis and structure of the program!

In my opinion, even though I'm not a programmer, I believe the changes I've suggested in the interface and features would not be complicated and would help us a lot in our work.
In addition, they could be made at the same time of the development of the great functionalities and tools that we hope so much for the 3D-Coat.

I love blender interface. It is extremely scalable and extremely sharp at any screen resolution. Unfortunately, the texts in 3D Coat are a little blurry with 4k. I tried different solutions and settings, it doesn't help. A problem that many programs have with 4k, also large Autodesk products. Software world is not quite ready for 4k.

3DCoatInterface.jpg

BlenderInterface.jpg

• Advanced Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the single most important feature for me would be sculpt layers.  I just cannot live without them anymore.
I will wait for the next big update to see if everyone's request has been heard...if not, I will be going back to zbrush/mudbox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Werner_Z said:

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the single most important feature for me would be sculpt layers.  I just cannot live without them anymore.
I will wait for the next big update to see if everyone's request has been heard...if not, I will be going back to zbrush/mudbox.

I agree with you! And do not give up asking Sculpt Layers. Your help is extremely important by asking Andrew.

I'm sure that with your help and the other artists that use 3D-Coat, together we will be able to get our request (Sculpt Layers and other great features and tools) to Andrew's knowledge.

Even though I have never done a video previously and without much time availability, I am developing a video, where I talk about how essential and important Sculpt Layers's development within the 3D-Coat is for us artists.

My goal is for this video to become very popular so that everyone can get this video to Andrew's attention through thousands of emails requesting the implementation of Sculpt Layers on 3D-Coat.
Sculpt Layers is vital in a production!

I believe that in this way, Andrew will focus his efforts on our requests and making 3D-Coat even better than it already is!

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

This thread has been a good discussion so here are some features in the works for version 5.  

I ask Andrew if I could share these specific 3 areas. He gave me permission to do so. 

1. Sculpt Layers.  

2. GPU enabled Painting. Faster and more memory efficient. 

3. Sketched Based Retopoing. 

Of course everyone will want to know when version 5 will be released. I do not have that information. We generally though get new betas as the become available to test these features before the official release of version 5. I also do not have any information on when betas with these features will be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Contributor
2 hours ago, digman said:

This thread has been a good discussion so here are some features in the works for version 5.  

I ask Andrew if I could share these specific 3 areas. He gave me permission to do so. 

1. Sculpt Layers.  

Of course everyone will want to know when version 5 will be released. I do not have that information. We generally though get new betas as the become available to test these features before the official release of version 5. I also do not have any information on when betas with these features will be available.

I am completely honored to receive this information on the Thread I started!
WOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW .... I do not know if I cry or laugh a lot! I'm extremely happy with these great WOOOWW features! Now everything will change .... my life will change! :D 

I would like to thank everyone for sharing improvements and suggestions for the development of the great features and tools for the program.

I will not tire of thanking the positive level of everyone's opinions without taking the debate to a negative and unpleasant way! Congratulations to all of you!

I hope we can improve even more!

As I said in the previous post, I propose that we transform this Thread into a kind of documented catalog of clear and objective ideas, through the assembly of Images and Videos so that everyone understands what you wish. So, we all together, we can suggest (adding and removing) functionality and features. Literally, developing the tools and functionality of 3D-Coat.
What do you think?

Note: Even though we know we have Sculpt Layers, I'm not going to stop doing the video (which is taking a lot of time to do) that I was doing about it. I believe some suggestions can be viewed positively for a possible implementation in the Sculpt Layers system and I would like to share with all of you.

Edited by Rygaard

8 hours ago, digman said:

1. Sculpt Layers.  

Great! :)

Edited by Spacetime

• Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Any news about layer mask on Paint room?

None that I know of. My guess is that Andrew must have hit a big snag and moved on to something else, like Smart Material attachments and such. I would like to see that revisited at some future point, but IMO Sculpt Layers is far and away the biggest need. 3D Coat is actually much closer to ZBrush in terms of raw sculpting prowess and sheer number of brushes and sculpt related tools, but not having the ability to use Sculpt Layers (per object) is like working in Photoshop, with all it's vast array of tools, but limited to just one layer per file.

In the Paint room, there is Layer Masking and it works fairly well. It just isn't merged with the layer it is masking and doesn't show a thumbnail like in PS. I'm totally ok with that until the Sculpt Workspace gets some love. The Paint Workspace got Smart Materials, GPU accelerated AO and Light Baking and Smart Material attaching to layers, the past few years. I think it's time Andrew devoted at least a few months if not more to trying his level best to match ZBrush in the area of sculpting. It's a high bar, but within reach, if he delivers a great implementation of Sculpt layers and adds the Bercon Maps (Procedural Noise) library to the NOISE Tool.

During this time, if people keep asking for a lot of other things, it's only going to distract him. So, please wait until he is working in that area, and has Sculpt Layers done. Too many people, like me, have been patiently waiting for years and seeing scores of other features jump to the front of the line, ahead of Sculpt Layers. If that continues to happen, I may have to get ill up in here!  :D

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I like Rygaard's proposed purpose of this thread. A central spot for 3DC users to post in real terms, with videos, pictures and  detail information on the reasons a feature would benefit all artist in their workflows.  This also means stepping out of one's own workflow styles and thinking in larger terms for the entire community as 3DC has to address the many various types of Workflows that artist use. 

We have a feature request thread but a user guided thread I like as well if the feature request are done, with details, like videos, pictures and information. 

I do know that mask layers has been asked for quite some time and I agree having it in Version 5 would be great. 

Do we need to temper our feature request so the major improvements can be fully developed for Version 5 of course we do but placing new request here in a detail way does not mean that the development team has to work on them at this time.

I am excited about version 5 and it holds great promise for 3DC to move up in Workflows that currently are not available. 

• Like 2

• Contributor

Hello everyone!
I was completely honored by @Andrew Shpagin to announce 3 great features that will be developed in the new version of 3D-Coat here in the topic I created. I would like to thank @digman for supporting the idea I had in which I will explain below! And thanks to everyone who participates here from the topic!

When I created this topic, I had no idea how well it would be seen in a positive way here in the 3D-Coat community.
My first intention was to show my feelings about the extreme need for us to have the great features and tools in 3D-Coat. I was frustrated to see so many good things happening with the competing program and in 3D-Coat not with the same dimensions in the Sculpt room.
I know that 3D-Coat has no focus on a particular area as it does in competing programs that are specific to your particular area.
From my point of view, I consider 3D-Coat as a giant! So when we see great potential in something, we just demand that it evolve and develop further.
Although I know how complicated it is to program and develop a program, I need to somehow show Andrew and others peoples when you care about something, you end up getting involved and start suggesting improvements to the program even if you do not know the architecture of the program. Honestly, I've never been involved in being part of any community, but I could not let go of 3D-Coat and I ended up getting involved.

Once I have said all this, I would like to turn this topic into something much better! For this, I run into a problem of limitation and loss of information because of the way the topic works within the forum!
My idea to improve my topic would be to turn it into a kind of "documented visual library of suggestions (by mounts of images and videos), where a user could demonstrate his/her suggestion" to everyone in a more concrete, visual and you would receive the help of all to further mature the suggestion of a certain functionality or tool in 3D-Coat. Literally, all users would develop features!
And so, Andrew and his developers could gain access to and understand what artists need in 3D-Coat, that is, the direction of program development.
I know there are already websites (mantis / Trello) where people report bugs and suggest improvements in the program, but I've got a pretty good idea and I´d like to share!

I've noticed that there are great suggestions that are going to get lost by the topic I've created and also other topics created by others peoples.

Now, I would like to present to everyone a possible realization of this "my documented visual library of suggestions".
In order to take advantage of the interactivity of all of the 3D-Coat community, I would like to suggest the creation a link (or session) of a similar system to what we have of the Image Gallery of the forum!
Let me explain better:

Use this same "gallery" system, being turned on the development of Features and Functions (Documented Visual Library of Sugestions)...

In this "gallery" system, it would be divided by the following 3D-Coat sessions: Sculpt Room, Paint Room, Tweak Room, Retopo Room, Render Room, UV Room (Main Albums).

Within each "album", users could create a sub-album to:
- Demonstrate the suggestion of its functionality or tool in 3D-Coat.

- The view would be in List and in the order Ascending (show as List - order by start Date)

- The creator of the new implementation's suggestion should post a related image of the Tool or Functionality and use the comments session to add a main video or image assembly explaining to everyone why, how, and etc.

- The user must fill in all required fields. Because...the more information provided the better for everyone!

- The interactivity between all will be through the Comment session, where all users who want to participate in the development of the idea (suggestion) may include images, videos and descriptions.

- Whenever the user perfects the idea, he/she will create a new updated image of the optimized tool or functionality in order to get the interactivity of all users through the comments, and thus further mature the idea and further improvements will happen until idea to be completely ready!

I believe that this gallery system of the 3D-Coat forum would be perfect so that we could put into practice the "documented visual library of suggestions".
Best of all is that this "gallery" system is ready, just modify the fields and information to make my suggestion system work!

Another good thing about this system is that you will not miss any ideas and will not confuse so many implementations on the same topic.

And best of all, Andrew will be able to follow closely what will happen and visualize the needs of the artists in a much more concrete way!

I hope you like this suggestion!

Below, I did a little image montage of what my suggestion would be like the "documented visual library of suggestions".

What do you think?
Who to support, please talk to @Andrew Shpagin.

new_session_3d_coat_requests_01.jpg

new_session_3d_coat_requests_02.jpg

• Contributor
15 hours ago, Rygaard said:

So when we see great potential in something, we just demand that it evolve and develop further.

Please, I would like to ask for forgiveness! And also, apologies for words or phrases that may appear in my lines!
I have no fluency in English and with my limited knowledge of the language I end up using Google Translator. With this, many things that I want to communicate ends up that Google Translator changes the meaning of my sentences or words.
Even though I do not have deep knowledge in English, I try to do my best to communicate with all of you!

So I come humbly here and I apologize to everyone!
Please do not ever think I'm being rude or anything.

I would never speak a word like "demand"... so sorry!

I hope I can always count on the help and understanding of everyone!

• Contributor

I was developing a video on Sculpt Layers before having the news that Andrew will develop Sculpt Layers.

In this video, I had divided the presentation into the following segments:
1) Introduction, disadvantages of not having Sculpt Layers and reasons for having Sculpt Layers in 3D-Coat.
2) Suggestion of how the Sculpt Layers system would be developed through what we already have in 3D-Coat which is the system of Paint Layers. Imagine all the functions we have in Paint Layers in the Sculpt Room.
3) I would present a suggestion of Sculpt Layers Layout design with the buttons.
4) I would explain each functionality and some other suggestions.
5) I would suggest the possibility of having dynamic tesselation (Live Clay, brushes with remove Streching) in the Layers, as well as the standard brusses. But, I believe this is impossible to do.
6) I would end the video with an opinion about Sculpt Layers and its advantages.

I was very happy when I received the news that Andrew will actually develop Sculpt Layers, but I was already in item 2. of the video development that gave me so much work to do! (I'm laughing here! :) But, no problem.  The important thing is that we really will finally have Sculpt Layers on 3D-Coat.
Many thanks @Andrew Shpagin for this happiness!

Now, I do not know if I have much reason to continue making the video. In fact, I worked hard to learn how to use VSDC Video Editor for video development! Anyone who is looking for a great, free and robust video editor ... is my tip!

I'm wondering if I make the video with suggestions on possible features of Sculpt Layers. What do you think?

Do you sometimes have to search for a tool in the palette and find it after 10-15 seconds? Maybe tools that you don't use often.

Wouldn't it be good if i opened the tools palette with spacebar and then entered the first letters of a tool name and it appears immediately?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hey everyone,
I had been in doubt whether to continue to do or not the video on sculpt layer suggestions on 3d-Coat ... I thought and then I decided to move on in the realization of the video!
So I'd like to share that I'm halfway through the end of the development of the Sculpt Layers video to get ready. That was the reason I was a little absent here on the forum! It is very hard to do, but it will be worth it and I hope to help in some way here in the community.

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/25/2018 at 5:33 AM, Spacetime said:

Do you sometimes have to search for a tool in the palette and find it after 10-15 seconds? Maybe tools that you don't use often.

Wouldn't it be good if i opened the tools palette with spacebar and then entered the first letters of a tool name and it appears immediately?

You know, I personally have never understood the appeal in such a feature in many other apps. Houdini is a good example. It's fine to have IF you have to otherwise sort through a long list or multiple sub menus, but not when you have a panel with all the relevant tool buttons available. It takes longer and more effort to look down at the keyboard, locate the different keys and hit them, look back up at the menu and click the button for the tool. No thanks. I hate that about Houdini, and same thing about the brush keys for ZBrush. I DO NOT want to be typing to find my tools. I just don't.

So, the Spacebar menu....while it can take a second or two to locate the tool you want, it is still a LOT easier and faster than typing the letters of a tool. That's just my 2 cents worth.

20 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

It takes longer and more effort to look down at the keyboard, locate the different keys and hit them, look back up at the menu and click the button for the tool.

This process takes for me a few seconds, I typing blindly on the keyboard. In blender I also work simultaneously with keyboard and mouse.

But i can understand that it's not the same for everyone. I write a lot on keyboard and very fast. I meant it by the way so that entering the first letters is optional, so you could continue working as before. But before I search for a tool for 10-20 (not always) seconds I could also type it quickly.

People want more tools, so will the palette be even bigger in the future?