3DCoat Forums

Fill Voids

Wasili

• Reputable Contributor

You are zoom in so close it is hard to tell what is going on or where the problem might be.

I have done a lot fill voids as I work with scan data at times.

Fill voids does work, the only time it does not fill voids is if you have an opening somewhere that is going to the voxel cavity. 

Wireframe mode is not the best for checking for voids, to hard to see what is going on. That is a personal opinion of course.

I will use the cutoff tool off to check. I just undo after each cut on a section I am checking. 

Once I narrow down the problem area, then it is easier to fix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digman said:

You are zoom in so close it is hard to tell what is going on or where the problem might be.

I have done a lot fill voids as I work with scan data at times.

Fill voids does work, the only time it does not fill voids is if you have an opening somewhere that is going to the voxel cavity. 

Wireframe mode is not the best for checking for voids, to hard to see what is going on. That is a personal opinion of course.

I will use the cutoff tool off to check. I just undo after each cut on a section I am checking. 

Once I narrow down the problem area, then it is easier to fix.

Thanks for the answer!
That's how I dealt with this problem http://take.ms/Z5NSX 

I did not know that the brush can fill voids through voxels

• Reputable Contributor

That is a method but very slow... 

Fill voids will completely fill the interior of a voxel object as long as long as no tuber openings in the voxel model goes to the cavities that are in the model. 

Scan data can have very tiny tuber holes that lead to cavities.  These take some time to find. Once you do find them, then you fill / seal the opening. Once all tuber holes openings that go to the cavities are filled,  fill voids works correctly. 

I generally use Mesh Mixer to find and close holes first, then run fill voids in 3DC. Now in your case it is unnecessary to use Mesh Mixer. 

If I have a regular model, then I use the tools available in 3DC.

Example shown in picture. I had two tuber openings leading to the cavity, once the openings are sealed, then fill voids does it job.

The model is spherical in shape but I cut it in half to show the inside and the fixed model.

fixed.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1