3DCoat Forums

Sculpt Layers and Blendshapes

David BK

I would like to know if 3D Coat has sculpt layers that allow you to perform tweaks/moves on a layer and then control the layer strength with a slider.

I want to work on a head object with final topology / UVs and create a number of facial expressions. I want to make them on separate layers and control the strengths to preview the animation (similar to sculpt layers in ZBrush or blendshape envelope in Maya).

This will also be useful when painting hard-to-reach areas when doing texture painting. For example, painting inside the mouth cavity or inside deep facial folds and creases.

Thanks!

Edited by David BK

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, David BK said:

I would like to know if 3D Coat has sculpt layers that allow you to perform tweaks/moves on a layer and then control the layer strength with a slider.

I want to work on a head object with final topology / UVs and create a number of facial expressions. I want to make them on separate layers and control the strengths to preview the animation (similar to sculpt layers in ZBrush or blendshape envelope in Maya).

This will also be useful when painting hard-to-reach areas when doing texture painting. For example, painting inside the mouth cavity or inside deep facial folds and creases.

Thanks!

Please ask Andrew for Sculpt Layers by sending him an E-mail and mention just what you said. Myself and others have been trying to get him to include it for years, now. There is sculpt layer functionality in the Paint workspace, using image based sculpting, where you are painting displacement live, and can control the depth level on each layer and you can even magnify or reduce the depth with a brush.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've sent an email about the issue.

The live displacement painting looks interesting, but I'm looking for something that would allow me to Move and Relax the topology (not just displace it).

Morph targets could work as a temporary solution. The ideal would be to have multiple targets saved on separate layers with strength sliders.

Edited by David BK

Here is the solution given to me regarding swapping geometry when texture painting. It requires the extra step of saving the different geo as separate OBJs, but it works well.

Currently for textures you may use File->Import->Replace geometry to texture different expressions.

• Reputable Contributor
55 minutes ago, David BK said:

Here is the solution given to me regarding swapping geometry when texture painting. It requires the extra step of saving the different geo as separate OBJs, but it works well.

You could also use the Texture Baking tool, perhaps.

• Like 1