3DCoat Forums

New Curves development feedback

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm finding the Cut Off tool to be rather troublesome, particularly the Closed Spline. It simply doesn't work now. I worked great two years ago. And what happened to all the fancy curves tools that were added to it? I'm using 4.9.33 and 4.9.34. Sorry to be out of the loop here...But the info on this stuff is hidden all over and it's sort of a formidable task to go rooting all over the place for it. the brown area I'm cutting is 45000 triangles and I made it uniform.

m7JlGOr.png

I'm hitting "ENTER" and the little drop down "Apply" and no luck.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Hi Mr Regime,

For the fancy tools try activating "beta" tools in the prefs. Im not a fan of the new curves , the red lines too thick last time I looked, so I stick to the old one for my simple needs.

Try turning off symmetry for your seat.

Also try and post a complete screen , it helps  folks see the whole problem... maybe  a box needs checking/unchecking etc

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

Hi Mr Regime,

For the fancy tools try activating "beta" tools in the prefs. Im not a fan of the new curves , the red lines too thick last time I looked, so I stick to the old one for my simple needs.

Try turning off symmetry for your seat.

Also try and post a complete screen , it helps  folks see the whole problem... maybe  a box needs checking/unchecking etc

Yeah I'm going to have to have a discussion on that closed spline , stuff like maximum depth on it. I never had this problem 2 years ago with it but now it is. OTOH...I did get a productive night, though not without shouting some very bad words into the void. Those seats look like ass; I could have done a lot better if I had some of my old 3D Coat skills with me..but they'll do as a placeholder for now.

vuliVLD.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Cool, I used to do that for real 40 years ago !  Have fun putting the rivets in !!! , I used to enjoy actual riveting back in the day. ( until it went cockeyed and you had to drill the bugger out.....the old version of undo)

All my work is a place holder... the next piece is gonna be perfect.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

image.thumb.png.3802706a08614bdf63e84b7832e5ad40.png

Welding open points is currently only possible by bridging the gap first, then, weld. This however should be done with a single click. I would go even further. There are so many apps out there who have already invented the wheel and I don't see the need to re-invent it once again. Fusion 360's curves/drawing tools are fantastic.

So my biggest problem with 3docat is that there are so many icons, buttons tools, all in a somewhat inconsistent design/size. The curve icons, the new activity icons, the primitive icons, the viewport icons, and the tools. They all have different sizes and are located somewhat arbitrary. As it was mentioned before, curve tools don't belong up there. 

image.thumb.png.e94182ce2cc3ca16c453478f1bfd01f9.png

EXAMPLE:

Lets take the welding, bridging, linking and splitting options. image.png.c8f65970395aac426d6747c5ddda7c59.pngDo we really need 4 buttons for these? Sounds like 1994 to me :)

Add point between points just by clicking on the spline.

Bridging Gaps can be done by selecting two open points, then double clicking one of those points.

Splitting /Breaking can be done in the very same fashion. Select a point, double click it to break it. 

Linking point can be done in the same fashion. Select all points, whereas the one to be linked at will be selected last. Then double click. Many 3D applications do linking like this. Maya, Blender.

This is just an example on how 3Dcoat could be optimized so easily and made user friendly. 

image.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

How close to finished is the new Curves tool? I find the interface to be very confusing and unintuitive, with a lot of issues regarding selection behavior, and gizmos from other tools overlapping. Is the team aware of this and working on it, or do you guys need a long and specific list of what is wrong?

Edited by Innovine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 8/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, Innovine said:

How close to finished is the new Curves tool? I find the interface to be very confusing and unintuitive, with a lot of issues regarding selection behavior, and gizmos from other tools overlapping. Is the team aware of this and working on it, or do you guys need a long and specific list of what is wrong?

@Carlosan Can you comment?

It is not abandoned, they are different teams and each one manages their own agenda and their own priorities based on the requests of the users and their own ideas.

It happens that sometimes to be able to develop a change or new extension it is necessary to elaborate the code base where the other development are supported.

That is what takes time.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Today, I did a bit of deep dive into the curves tool during my twitch stream...I tried doing a few things that it probably wasn't designed to do and ended up with a few crashes.

You can see the stream here.  These videos will probably only be up for a week or so.  I didn't really focus on doing anything productive.  Moreso seeing what the possibilities of the tool were.

Edited by gbball
fixing link

• Advanced Member

I was able to achieve this in 3D Coat today, but it was really unstable.  This is something I would love to see going forward.  Patch-based modeling in the sculpt room using curves.

Untitled-1.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I just realized, that it kind of does what I want.  I was definitely doing it wrong.  I think the interface could be optimized though.

GIF 2020-11-07 7-50-42 PM.gif

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

More experiments.  I can't explain how exciting this is for me.  Still needs a lot of work, but the foundation for some really cool base sculpt blockout tools are here.
Is anyone else using curves?  I'd love to see what others are doing.

GIF 2020-11-07 8-42-50 PM.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gbball said:

Please continue to develop things further.

Hi, gbball!

I am very surprised how you use our tools. Especially creating  Patch-surface.
Thanks for the great series of videos. Things to do on the weekend. 
You have done a great job. To be honest, there has been little feedback from designers.
I realized that the tools are not very clear and easy to use.
We are working to improve them. And bug fixes. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Hi, gbball!

I am very surprised how you use our tools. Especially creating  Patch-surface.
Thanks for the great series of videos. Things to do on the weekend. 
You have done a great job. To be honest, there has been little feedback from designers.
We are working to improve them. And bug fixes. :)

Hey, @Gorbatovsky, that's what I figured, but I'm glad you see it as interesting.  I just made a video going through my process.

• Advanced Member

This is how I set things up.  But I've also done a few more tests using the 2 profile sweep using a guide.  That is also promising, but a little more involved to setup.  That gives me a bit more control over how the faces bulge in or out.  I'll try to share some results of that test later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Further testing.  Here I used a combination of closed patches set to fill with mesh and some curves segments joined together and used 'swept n gener'.  Doing this gave me a lot more control.  It was still a bit clunky to set up though and I still have the problem of the meshes being disconnected.

I propose a voxel or surface mode primitive object that looks like a polygon cube, but instead of regular edges, it would use curves.  And we should be able to extrude and subdivide faces with new curve data which all could be used to deform the voxel/surface object.

GIF 2020-11-09 9-24-58 AM.gif

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 1/16/2019 at 12:02 PM, gbball said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm just bumping this post because I think it's relevant to what I'm proposing for the curves tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Not in sculpting, read my quote first please. I am only sharing how another app handle manipulation on curves, as reference from brain storm. (bold is mine)

Gorbatovsky said:

We are working to improve them. And bug fixes. 

• Advanced Member

@Gorbatovsky

After testing, I've found using 4 curves as the most flexible way to make patches using the Swept N Gener tool.  I think a fast way to generate would be great. 

Ideally being able to create new curves and patches the same way you create new polygons.  With tools like

• Extrusion of individual Edges (the equivalent of edge extrusion in polygons) creates a Swept N Gener
  • Extrusion/Beveling of Swept N Gener patches (the equivalent of face extrusion/beveling when working with polygons)
  • Bridge Tool Select two curves and automatically Bridge with another Swept N Gener

This will be more powerful than polygon modeling...especially since your tool can convert to quad retopo patches.

GIF 2020-11-28 3-32-30 PM.gif

GIF 2020-11-29 12-29-41 AM.gif

GIF 2020-11-30 1-14-51 AM.gif

CurvesTool.png

CurvesIdea.png

Edited by gbball
had to remove a couple of images
  • Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to New Curves development feedback
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic