3DCoat Forums

New Curves development feedback

Tested the new curves the 1st time.

Do someone knows how to add a new point inbetween two selected points? Or add a point to an existing curve at any position???

I'm working since over 20 years with vector tools, but for any reason I am not able to do this. Is it not supported (yet) ?

EDIT: Found it... it was hidden (?!?!?!) You have to double click on a curve. Why?!

Why not supporting already existing standards and then improve them?

Just watch Illustrator for example or Corel Draw to see how they solved this. Try to keep standards.

But the new curves is a step forward.

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Huge changes in curves. Filling curve by patch works stable and provides good quality. Filling with holes inside supported. Just add curve in sub-tree of filled curve and it will be treated as hole. Boolean operations between curves in 3D. Many changes related to curves. 

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

how can I delete the curves with keyboard instead of right click>delete?

the old way is hit Esc key. its so simple.

never mind, found it. just hit delete key.

Edited by TLE
  • Like 1

(Regarding loading curves in 4.8.31 Beta) 

Hi team.

Can I ask, what version of Illustrator .EPS should I be saving as ? Nothing was showing up in 3DC after selecting the latest version Illustrator EPS CC, CS6, CS2 and Illustrator EPS 8 produces strange squiggly lines as curves in 3DCoat. 

This shape as an expanded vector in Illustrator CC 2018 (EPS)

image.thumb.png.be18aff6757d5966bb4d3518a1d12d39.png

image.thumb.png.230261691e708cb033a8c2858453acda.png

Or worse, in some older versions of Illustrator EPS (for example Illustrator EPS v8). One imported curve from that looked like a bowl of noodles. 

BTW, the spline is differently joined at all points.  Would LOVE to get this working as I think it would really help clean up my hard surface modelling outcomes.

Many thanks guys.

Jamie

• Advanced Member

Awesome news!  Sorry to push the topic, but what about intersecting splines...kind of like being able to create a grid pattern with new cv points created at the intersections? 

• Advanced Member

https://blenderartists.org/t/custom-build-dyntopo-improvement-toporake/1142166

This is a Blender script that does a smart dynotopo so that the triangle edges conform to the stroke.  I think it would be great to allow the splines to dynamically reflow the sculpt mesh topology so that the spline can be used to create clean edges.  Further, the spline should be usable to deform the mesh like a move tool with falloff.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

To be honest, I don't remember.  I think I might have shared these before.  Some of it might have shared with Raul when he was still part of the team.  I'll send it along though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I created a couple of videos to demonstrate a bit of what I'd like to see here.  This is a basic example of manipulating the Voxel or Surface mode sculpt with curves, which would act like pseudo polygons.

This was done in Blender by using a subdivided sphere, and a grease pencil stroke drawn on the surface.  The grease pencil stroke was then converted to geo, joined to the sphere and then manipulated with volumetric soft selection.

This would be a really powerful workflow with curves and voxels/surface sculpts.  Even better if in surface mode, the topology could conform to the curves so that we'd get nice sharp edges there.

It's not shown here, but I would also like to be able to extrude a curve shape, creating a duplicate curve that would behave like a polygon extrusion.

Lastly, it would be great to convert curves to polygons similar to how the strokes tool works in the retopo room.

GIF0.gif

GIF1.gif

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yeah, it would be an ideal setup.  Is this a Max plugin?  I think as 3D Coat matures, we'll start to see some interesting plugins being developed.  I had a look at the scripting API, but it was all in Russian, so I'm not sure how much of the data scripters have access to.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is all new, but if someone gets a chance to explain the intended purpose and functionality of this tool, I'm sure many people would benefit (including me).

I have been toying with it and I've got to say I don't quite understand it.  Below is an example.

Left is a standard surface Pinch brush.

Middle is a freehand closed Curve applied with the same Pinch brush.

Right is an open Curve - same brush.

I don't understand the results of the closed curve.

Thanks.
image.thumb.png.362480d7f3fd9bdcde7132ed8ca0d206.png

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, smatthews1999 said:

I know this is all new, but if someone gets a chance to explain the intended purpose and functionality of this tool, I'm sure many people would benefit (including me).

I have been toying with it and I've got to say I don't quite understand it.  Below is an example.

Left is a standard surface Pinch brush.

Middle is a freehand closed Curve applied with the same Pinch brush.

Right is an open Curve - same brush.

I don't understand the results of the closed curve.

Thanks.
image.thumb.png.362480d7f3fd9bdcde7132ed8ca0d206.png

Pinch is an effect you would want to apply ALONG a stroke path. Closed Curve will FILL everything inside. So, you would want an OPEN spline, and there is usually an option to close the Open Spline, in the list menu. This still applies the brush/effect ALONG the curve, but completes the circuit.

• Like 1

Does anybody know if the "Add straight line segments" - tool

straightline.png.3c9b51219c292562229a098f6841a6ce.png

from BETA-curves has any form of angle snapping function ( e.g. 45-degree angles as you rotate it ) similar to the "curve stroke mode" 

curvestrokemode.png.5836064d7034b244541c79e8feb19e52.png

with pressed SHIFT.

I want to constraint the "curve"-points to a straight line.

If I press SHIFT with "Add straight line segments" it turns on the SMOOTH-mode of active tool (e.g. CLAY, EXTRUDE......)  

I know there is the 2D grid to go straight along but a button for angle snapping would be great.

Edited by The_Mikeman

• 5 months later...

3DCoat new version 4.9.5
- Essential improvement of the models array in curves/splines. Now models will be placed very uniformly along the spline. Full specification is there.

- Snapping for curves imporoved a lot - SHIFT snapping, distance snapping, vertical/horizontal alignment snapping.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

The new curves are driving me nuts. I mean I clearly don't know how to use them, and am trying to get back to the speed of the old ways (how the curves tools behaved when they were only green colored, not this new red version) So please, with all due respect can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the new curve engine? How can I use this new curve toolset with the speed of the old one? I am missing something here, so please help me find it. BTW, i use curves for texturing in the paint room mainly. A short example is the spline tool: in the old version I click-click-clicked and double clicked and voila a closed spline was born, where the points were immediately editable, adjustable etc. Now, the red spline turns uneditable on completion, and the points just vanish, and i have to click an extra icon to edit them again. It slows me down especially when I'm not familiar with the curves icons. I just used curves without even noticing the icon set in the old version. Just by right clicking and dragging etc. 

Whew. So please if anyone has a good resource on this : heeelp :)

Thank you.

Edited by yoohasz

On 1/17/2019 at 3:02 AM, gbball said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Just wanted to chime in here (sort of off-topic, and I just happened on this thread only now) and say from one sketcher to another, love those sketches, mate! Followed your links, as I got curious based on the finesse evident in those lines.... and I love your artwork and designs, really rad stuff  :):) 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Jamie Norton said:

Just wanted to chime in here (sort of off-topic, and I just happened on this thread only now) and say from one sketcher to another, love those sketches, mate! Followed your links, as I got curious based on the finesse evident in those lines.... and I love your artwork and designs, really rad stuff  :):) 

Thanks my friend, I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for a great tool,

Can I scale radius of a control point on "Tube/Array" spline?
Scaling by control point's gizmo seems like that only affects to control points normal vector's axis, not its radius.

For now I can change radius only before putting a control point by brush size.

(4.9.05 Win10(64bit) OpenGL)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to New Curves development feedback
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic