3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Normal Map Problem when modifying UVs

• Advanced Member

Hello,

this is a problem i noticed long time ago because i often use this kind workfow:

i'm importing a model ready with normal maps applyed, this normal map is imported from external texture so, using the modifier layer "Use as Normal Map"

5ad8541b78c92_Screenshotat2018-04-19102806.thumb.png.32a2df86c97816b67e4c9cce01e3ebc4.png

After UV works because it needs optimisations to be used professionnaly, 3dc compute is like this, good for some part, for others... not really good

5ad854722942c_Screenshotat2018-04-19103001.thumb.png.a045dae4238539045b1540d013f5c786.png

i have take only this part because the top is good, like the feet. As you can see the normal map is inversed for the skirt and legs.

• Reputable Contributor

The below is so I can understand your workflow.

If you are importing a external normal map, 3DC will automatically create a normal map layer. Not sure why you are creating a normal map layer yourself.

Is 3DC importing the normal map when you first import the model into the paint room and not recognizing the normal map?

It sounds like you are after importing going to the uv room to adjust the uv set. 

Use PackUV2. This will only scale and move the uv islands for better packing.  Any rotations or flipping will mess up your normal map vectors. This is not a problem of 3DC.  You seem to know this already so it is for other's FYI who do not.

Since you creating the model for professional use, manually rearranging (moving and any scaling) the uv islands still might be the best.

pack.jpg

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Normal Map Problem when modifying UVs