3DCoat Forums

Curvature map problem

Werner_Z

• Advanced Member

I'm having Curvature maps issues with the latest build. Not sure if the mesh has some errors.

This is what my map looks like in the texture Editor view.  Clearly it has a zero to 100% stuffup from top to bottom in uv space. I'm using defaults when creating the map.

Has anyone seen this before.

3dcoat_curveture.jpg

• Advanced Member

No, everything is left at default.
I baked my hi res details with displacement from sculpt room to retopo mesh. It looks great in the paintroom.
AO works fine, but now I want to use curvature map to paint on concave or convex areas, but this happens when I create the curvature map.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Werner_Z said:

No, everything is left at default.
I baked my hi res details with displacement from sculpt room to retopo mesh. It looks great in the paintroom.
AO works fine, but now I want to use curvature map to paint on concave or convex areas, but this happens when I create the curvature map.

Could you clear this up... You use the word displacement.  You mean you are not baking to the paint room using bake with normal map but one of the other workflows of baking.

Which one are you using if this is the case.

one.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Number 2, requires a high sub-division level when baking to the paint room for it to work correctly. It is also not so good for deeper displacement of the mesh.  The tool tip explains. This method would not be best for your film quality displacement.  I generally do not used this method as it has several drawbacks. 

MicroVertex---  Is better for true displacement. Sub-divide the model when baking. FYI. You can still export the low-polygon mesh. There are several parameters in the export panel for displacement maps when exporting.

Look at the picture. When baking the millions is what internally 3DC uses to create the displacement map and the display mesh resolution is what you see in the viewport.

Your uv seam layout has to be good as displacement is not too forgiving of a bad seam layout, not that yours is. Your painting is a little less quality than per pixel though.  A combination approach here is possible, Paint using Per Pixel but use MicroVertex to only create your displacement map. Test to see how it works.

You can export a 32 bit exr displacement map as well.

PPP_dis.jpg

millions.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman. I will have a closer look. My displacement map came out fine (actually works really well).

I avoid microvertex because of the docs.
"Microvertex Baking

Bakes using the image and mesh based depth calculation. This method is deprecated in favor of the more advanced Per-Pixel method."

The problem I had was with creating a curvature map on the mesh in the paintroom. I will see if it fixes the problem when baking to microvertex.

Like I said, it all good now, as I painted my texture maps on the hi res(20mil) mesh, then baked to my lower res(140K mesh).

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Edited by Werner_Z

• Reputable Contributor

I am finding the baking of curvature maps in both methods, not working as expected... Something the development team will have to look at.

Using PPP with displacement, this bug appears, not all the time but enough to make this workflow problematic.The model is facet after baking to the paint room.

The model was subdivided to 800,000 polygons when baking to the paint room.  Andrew did state for this method to work, you have to sub-divide your model.

Of course if your model is already high in polygon count as yours is there is no need to sub-divide. 

I will ask about the deprecated wording in the manual for Microvertex. This method still is available in the New menu as a valid method. Maybe the wording of that statement is somewhat to strong. Per Pixel for sure gives a higher quality paint because it is pixel based. 

45.PNG

I had a curvature map on a multi-surface object show up with long lines across one surfave looking a bit like your screenshot. The surface in question had a 8k texture assigned as the only surface on the model, I resized that to 4k and then finally curvature map would calculate properly. No idea why, but maybe related.

• 1 year later...