3DCoat Forums

Sculpting question, stroke type.

GimbalLock

Hi Forum,

I'm new to sculpting in 3dc and it's very intuitive, but one tool/function I'm having problems with is one that can paint a clean ridge/stroke across an uneven surface. Imagine a very hilly, lumpy terrain - then a brush that paints a flat highway through that terrain, either creating bridges and canyons along its path, or a compromise depending on pen pressure. Is there such  a tool?

If I have made a long fold in something soft, like fabric, and it appears a bit crumbly, I imagine this type of tool could be brushed along the top of the fold, making it more line a smooth spline.

Here's an example. I'd like to paint a stroke along this ridge that keeps it sharp but fills up the three lumps, making it more of a clean flowing edge.

Kind of what Buildup does, but on the top edge instead of down along the sides.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by GimbalLock

Thanks. It seems that multiple strokes with Clay kinda did what I wanted, in the example case. Letting it build up and even out the ridge. I'll try your suggestions too. Regarding the snake tool, is there a way to ensure that it merges the tip into the mesh? In surface mode.

• Advanced Member

Not that I'm aware of, I believe it works in plane with the view port.  I made a mesh like you have in your picture and what I ended up doing was using muscles to flatten out the ridge and then carved away the excess using live clay flatten or if you jump into surface mode one of the polish presets.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

You mentioned buildup brush, I took it that you were in surface mode.

I used the fill to help fill in the gaps.

My own created Polish brush based off the general clay brush working in tandum with Anti-bump located in the top tool panel of the UI.

My own pinch brush... It is a less powerful pinch giving me more control. I use just a little to resharpen the edge. The edge was still pretty good but a little pinch helps to restore some lost sharpness. 

3DC powerful brush engine gives us the ablity to create our own brushes.

bumps.PNG

done_2.PNG

tools.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1