3DCoat Forums

[Solved] How to use Texture Editor without camera distance effecting it ?

Cody38

I'm getting a little miffed, I wan't to draw on the texture window, not the model itself, and when I set my texture at the size and everything I like in the 3d viewport, when I go to the texture window, it's not the same. It either makes the texture larger or smaller depending on the distance I've zoomed in. How can I disable this? I draw there so I don't accidentally draw on other segments of the model.

• Reputable Contributor

I am not quite understanding the second part of the question. 

When you set a texture resolution it changes the texture editor zoom to show the entire uv space. 

After setting your texture resolution:

Inside the texture editor window.

RMB to zoom in or out. You have to be off the uv islands for this to work. 

MMB to pan. 

FYI--- The default padding bleed for uv islands is 256 pixels. This can be changed under Preferences... 

I use about 8 pixels for a 2k image.

The blocky look to the bleed in the texture editor is only a low visual representation of the bleed. The real bleed in the export is correct. 

Some times I will create a bottom layer and fill it a different shade of gray to help define the edges of the uv islands better. 

grey.PNG

Edited by digman
More information

What I'm saying is that in the texture window, it paints varying levels of detail depending on how zoomed in or out you are. If I'm super zoomed in and paint on a pattern, then super zoom out and paint the same pattern, (without changing the brush radius) the zoomed out pattern will be much larger.

Here is the smart material overlaying the mesh. Pretend this is how I want it to look when I paint on the texture editor. example1.thumb.JPG.fa2f3028f768564c652155dba8d466b0.JPG

This is how it actually looks. The left most is when I zoom out a lot, the pattern is larger. The center is when I zoom in a lot, the pattern is smaller and more frequent. The right is thankfully showing exactly what I would be drawing if I draw in the 3d viewport, but I'd prefer to draw in the texture editor.example2.thumb.JPG.f73bfb11d08ac372fda3abb4e051ddd4.JPG

Maybe this makes more sense now. How do I make the smart material preview consistent with what I'm drawing in the texture editor?

• Reputable Contributor

The Texture editor is 2D projection but here is a way for it to work.

1. From Camera Mode:  I am giving the default method first.

Preview options panel----Lock the image. Now when zooming in and out the texture is locked to the current image size you set it at in the texture editor.

You still can scale, position or rotate an image after locking it. 

2. Cube Mapping---- Do not go by the preview window for sizing your image. First use From Camera mode to size your image in the texture editor then lock the image. 

Switch to Cube Mapping. Do your work.

3. How to zoom using cube mapping.  This is a combination approach. In order to zoom without changing your texture size, you must switch back to From Camera mode.

Zoom in or out. the image is locked. Switch back to Cube Mapping.  Do your work

A FYI-----Be sure to remember always to switch back to "From Camera Mode" before zooming otherwise you will mess up your texture size for Cube mapping.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to lock a cube map image in the 2D texture editor as a feature like we can when using From Camera Mode, I do not know the answer to that question. A feature request could be put in of course. 

lock.PNG

Edited by digman
more information.
  • Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] How to use Texture Editor without camera distance effecting it ?