3DCoat Forums

Can't avoid Faceted mesh. (from import)

• Advanced Member

Hey all, 

I've been given a base mesh to import into 3dc, I start by importing it as a surface object and I apply flat-subdivisions to get rid of the original faceted'ness.

(side note: the original model has smoothing groups, it is not faceted)

So far so good, the model is in, it's smooth but still kept details.

Now when I try to voxelise it, no matter what polyount, from 1 million to 10 million, the results always end up with faceting. (this is the root issue)

Here's an image from when I'd converted it to voxels, then back to surface, resampled it down and tried to smooth it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjteyvkk1vgjq7a/Faceted.png?dl=0

I'm still left with faceted geometry, but the mesh in that picture has about 2.5 million tri's.

if I bring the polycount down far enough, I can manually smooth it out just fine, but that's not ideal as this is a gigantic model, and reducing the polycount means I'm losing critical information from the original import.

• Reputable Contributor

Voxels have no normal vectors. Surface mode meshes do, so imported meshes as a Surface mode object will appear more smooth. But as mentioned, a little model prep in your host app will make it work. Re-inforce the edges or details you need to preserve > export. When you import as a Voxel object, you have the option (Tool Options panel) to Subdivide the Preview Object before you commit it to a layer. Subdivide it until it looks relatively smooth > APPLY.

If there is still a little bit of faceting, you can hit the SMOOTH ALL button at the bottom of the Tool Panel (I assign the SHIFT + S hotkey combo to that button), and it should help remove any residual faceting.

• Advanced Member

Cheers all, the low poly mesh had been sub-divided in 3ds max prior to export (with turbosmooth), and as a surface object it worked fine, the issue was just when converting it to voxels, Smooth all didn't help much unfortunately and I'm still in the process of manually smoothing out each piece.

• 4 years later...

I feel like the answers given here are wrong, because when I first started using 3D Coat, I always worked with High Poly mehses from 3Ds Max and they always imported into the Voxel room looking smooth. It was only after they updated the program that it lost smoothing groups, and I still have the issue. Subdividing the mesh before Voxelizing works, but it takes forever since the imported mesh was already 400K polys to begin with. 

• Like 1