3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member

Sure it's not. You've tried to install it with an unfinished download. Try with another web browser, the file should weight ~ 715Mo ;)

Thanks a LOT for testing and help!!!!!!

- Cubemapping for smart materials on textures in correspondence with normalmap, not just with geometry like before. It leads to more accurate mapping if normalmaps used.

- Correct import of envronment maps restored.

- Distortion of alpha removed when applied to very distorted area.

- Sharper mapping of materials in UV mode.

- UI in bigger size cleaned up.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, popwfx said:

Just tried to download an install 4.8 on Win 7

3d-Coat-V4_8-03-64.exe

and when I run the exe it gives an error: "Installer integrity check"? Any trick needed? I tried downloading a few times in case it was a corrupt download to no avail.  I'm getting the size as 326,240 KB - is that right?

(also forums are acting a little weird where clicks don't work - I've always used firefox and this is new - is there a problem currently?)

The forum is buggy, I agree

• Advanced Member

hello, Andrew and all of developer. thank you your hard work for update!

excuse me, I have an issue.  I had already reported it in MANTIS.  this reply is supplementary information

you said "fixed  Japanese font error".  but, many of my friends in japan say " not correct yet ! "

could you check the attached file ?  the red lines are the incorrect points.

thank you for reading!

3dcoatincorrectfont.thumb.png.2a596c39158a697d5f8d4e7daf2b7658.png

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

jene, please check 4.8.03

advice thank you!

I downloaded V4.8.03.  that improved a little. but, not all.  

maybe, the character code could be off to the side  radically.   (In my personal opinion, can the character code turn back to v4.7.26...?)

...You can also abandon Japanese language. but, I appreciate that you do not abandon us.

incorrectcharacter4803.thumb.png.fee7e756de3d83a66e79a23fe4f134d0.png

thx for the awesome work !

Additional kudos to Sergyi for the Linux builds. So happy we have those!
BTW - there's a small adjustment that can be done to the "make .desktop shortcut" tutorial. If you add :

Path=pathto3dcoatdirectory

to the .desktop file you don't have to create .sh script and link to it in the Exec line - you can link 3DC binary directly.
Oh, is there a chance we can get proper progress bars in Linux version? Atm I need to check CPU load just to make sure 3DC has not frozen sometimes (when I do some more complex operations that take longer). 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I reuploaded 4.8.03, please re-download and check Japanese text.

hello,  I downloaded new data. 

excellent.   Japanese font is perfect !   Thank you very much !

We appreciate your hard work !

perfectjapanese.thumb.png.fd6fa045e63fdfc00ae76cc47fa77a80.png

• Reputable Contributor

with 4.8.03 on Windows 7 when painting with any smart material color modulate does not work, it always uses white. when I click "close" to unselect the smart material, color works.

That's with paintbrush, pencil and fill.

Airbrush works...

Edited by lesaint

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this is a new feature in 4.8.03 as I've not been up to date for a year or so, so forgive me if this is not the place to ask - I'm pulling in LWO objects and UV mapping and painting them then exporting as fbx with the Unity preset.  Am I doing something wrong or is the scale all off ? First time I've used the preset (nice feature btw!) but on import into unity the objects no longer match the real world measurements as when they were in Lightwave - theyre like 50 time smaller in Unity but their axis is correct.  Is this a bug or have I done something wrong? Only happens when I uv map in 3DC? thx!

Otherwise 4.8.03 looks way nicer than the old version I had been using!

Edited by popwfx

• Reputable Contributor

When I import a mesh in the retopo room either via autopo or otherwise, the origin is moved to the center of the object, and changing it using transform doesn't work, it resets to the same origin point ! 
I guess I have to go back to 4.7 :(

--------- Edit :

Sorry, it appears I was mistaken.

It only appears to do so, The transform gizmo appears there in the center of the object, but in fact it exports with the correct origin.
And it is the same with 4.7.37C

Edited by lesaint
I made a mistake

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Try using this values please.

SceneScale.jpg

I dont understand why I'd have to go to the Retopo room to adjust scene scale.  I'm only uv mapping and painting then exporting. Sometimes not even painting - just uv map and export.

i tried this and my model disappeared in 3dcoat in the paint and UV rooms. 

so my problem is  if I make an object in LW as 200mm wide, then save LWO, then import for uv map from main menu splash in 3dc, uv map, then export as fbx, then import asset in Unity it is 2mm wide

what is going on? Maybe I don't understand 3dc's rooms fundamentally, but I don't remember having a scale problem with the export before with this workflow in 3dc? but before there was not unity export preset in 3dc.  There is no scene scale in the export.

Thanks for explaining what I'm doing wrong  I think this has to do witn 4.8.03

I don't think it is related to Scale window. 3D-Coat imports and exports the same coordinates of object. But different software may interpret same values as meters/centimeters or millimeters. I on't know how is it managed in LW, but try to set different measure units in LW - meters, centimeters or millimeters and look how export differs in scale.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I don't think it is related to Scale window. 3D-Coat imports and exports the same coordinates of object. But different software may interpret same values as meters/centimeters or millimeters. I on't know how is it managed in LW, but try to set different measure units in LW - meters, centimeters or millimeters and look how export differs in scale.

LW is meters and Unity doesn't specify a unit as far as I'm aware.  I don't know what 3dc default  unit is.

The reason I asked is that I did this workflow with 3dc several versions ago (4.x) and this scale difference didnt happen.  Any ideas?

• Contributor

By default, the units in Unity are meters.

I think 3d coat is mm since if you use the measure tool it starts as mm in default.  (Edit its meters as well)

Andrew is correct of course on what he says , now if there is a bug in something i am not in a position to know since in my workflow

Maya LT , Houdini , 3D Coat everything works fine.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Hmmmm , have Avira and it passed ok. There is no way of having a virus by the way.

Disable the antivirus , and install , it will work fine , then re enable the antivirus.

• Advanced Member

Thanks ,that sort of worked ...but during the process my GL icon shortcut got put in quarantine,now it is completey gone and I can only use the DX version...

question .How can I get my application  icon back...its nowhere to be seen,

Ive been using GL for everything for ages .Will using DX affect anything? ( I am using a GTX 1050 gfx card.)

thanks 

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

I found it there ,but deleted it I think.... I thought I was maybe restoring it but I just deleted it...doh. So Its basically gone I think. I reinstalled everything but its still gone. Maybe I have to start from scratch, How would I do that ,Do I have to delete the users folders. This is all a bit beyond me. The Dx Version seems to work just fine, just dont like the thought that there is something missing that I broke.

edit , It just crashed  moving the color palette...sod it I will go back  to previous version...this really need to work at moment.

thanks for helping

Edited by stusutcliffe

Set scenes to meters before importing any of the assets into 3d coat helps ?

DefineMeasurementUnits.png

Will be great If I could add my input also, during import, some dimensions panel should display the physical size and global position of the imported mesh, and allow for resizing, scaling, rotating and adjusting, before the mesh is committed.

• Like 1