3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

• Advanced Member

Strip voxel sculpting stops working after changing strip alpha.

Been messing with strips in voxel room today, using airbrush/build/extrude. I found that after changing the strip alpha around 3 times the tool would stop sculpting. If I change then, say airbrush to build then back again, the tool would function correctly again.

Mac 10.12.6, v4.8.03

EDIT: Just tried in surface mode with General Clay LC mode. Same issue between one and three strip changes and tool stops working. Switch tool and back again, all good. Perhaps this is more widespread—I'll keep an eye out and report back if it happens in other circumstances.

EDIT2: Tried paint room with brush tool and strips, same thing. Switch to pencil and back -> correct behaviour.

Edited by Hammers

• Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, lesaint said:

Not sure if this is a new issue, but name correspondance for baking fails if the vox layers are in a hierarchy. It works only if all the objects are set to "root".

Sequential baking (Names Correspondence) treats all child layers as if they are part of the parent layer. They don't get baked separately. Only parent layers. Are you saying the whole bake fails if you have some child layers?

• Contributor

It seems there's a problem with textures and noise put into alpha slots of Smart Materials.
When material A is applied on paint layer and then alpha-masked material B is put over it (on the same layer) it will fully cover material A regardless of B's alpha settings.

To reproduce:

1. Create a paint layer.
  2. Fill the layer with material A (like copper)
  3. Fill the layer with alpha masked material B (like dust_1).

Ignored slots: condition mask texture, edge scattering texture, mask/opacity texture.

Can anyone confirm?

Another one (probably related):

1. Fill layer A with non-alpha material, like the copper.
  2. Fill layer B (above layer A) with alpha-enabled, like said dust_1.
  3. Merge Down Layer B with Layer A. Areas that were transparent in layer B will appear as pure white and opaque in the resulting layer C.
Edited by ajz3d

Updated to 4.8.04

- Fixed problem of baking sculpt shaders to paint room

- Fixed problem of texture preview when you edit shader.

- Bake menu in Paint room. It allows to drop paint objects to Sculpt room, modify there and bake normal/other maps back on paint object.

- Plane tool in paint room works correctly with normalmap layer.

- Sticky kays activation time increased to prevent false sticking.

- fixed problem of very long importing for PPP in some cases.

• Like 6

• Advanced Member
On 29/09/2017 at 6:23 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

Just had to share this!!!!

AMAZING WORK ON 3D MODELLING with PRIMITIVES from the DEV team.

Thank you so much for adding those.

1) Primitives

2) Select vertices

3)Transform 

4) Split 

5) DONE

Then retopo to sculpt , do your sculpt details and bake 2 in 1 .

This was made in around  10 minutes , 15 MAX  , faster 3d modeller EVER USED SO FAR.

Note to new users : DEFINITELY GO IN TO THIS PATH , it takes a bit of time to get used to it but once you get the hang of it IT ROCKS

@Michaelgdrs

This looks cool, but I don't understand how you did it. So you're making objects in the retopo room then baking them somehow to the sculpt room? I haven't been able to figure that out, if that is what you're doing here.

Edited by Hammers
  • Like 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Hammers said:

@Michaelgdrs

This looks cool, but I don't understand how you did it. So you're making objects in the retopo room then baking them somehow to the sculpt room? I haven't been able to figure that out, if that is what you're doing here.

Modelling  low poly straight from the retopo room , then bringing it to the sculpt room to do the sculpt details and finally baking it in the retopo room.

This way you only model once!!! Just like making a low poly model in maya or max for example and bringing it in for sculpting and baking.

Finally in paint room i paint the low level normal details on a different normal layer.

I have a full tutorial series based on this technique , i will upload it on my tutorials collection soon.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Transform operations in  retopo are not in the undo history, is that a known issue ?

In sculpt room it creates a problem too when you are using "conform retopo mesh" : you can undo the transform on the sculpt object, but the retopo mesh will not follow.

(by the way, it would be useful to have the "comform retopo mesh" on more tools in sculpt room,  For example if you use it with the pose tool, you need to smooth afterwards.)

Edited by lesaint

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, lesaint said:

Transform operations in  retopo are not in the undo history, is that a known issue ?

In sculpt room it creates a problem too when you are using "conform retopo mesh" : you can undo the transform on the sculpt object, but the retopo mesh will not follow.

(by the way, it would be useful to have the "comform retopo mesh" on more tools in sculpt room,  For example if you use it with the pose tool, you need to smooth afterwards.)

I have not had problems with undoing Transform operations in the Retopo room, but the 2nd problem (Conform Retopo Mesh), I have. Please send that issue to support@3dcoat.com, as a reminder to Andrew. I recently reported that and noticed he fixed some of the things I mentioned, but that was probably one that slipped through the cracks.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I've got beta 4.8.03 installed, and encountered some odd behaviour, but as I'm a 3D Coat newbie I don't know if this is related to the beta or not. My apologies if it's not.

The issue is that when using the Constructor tool, the Smart Placement option doesn't work most of the time. It only seems to work in corners that have three surrounding sides.

Some info:

I'm using MacOS (High Sierra), graphics card = NVidia GeForce 780M with the latest NVidia Web drivers, and I've got some customized viewport controls (RMB = Orbit, Ctrl + RMB = Zoom, Alt + RMB = Pan).

Thanks,

Metin

Edited by Metin Seven
Added some more info.

• Advanced Member

Anyone else having issues with the Light baking option in the paint room? I'm getting coloured noise... the attachment shows a little noise, but i'm sometimes getting ALOT.  Happens with other settings to e.g. Render light from render room.

Im using a  AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics Card ( not sure if thats the issue - not being Nvidia ?)

to reproduce:-

1. open new vox scene and select the head.

2. goto paint room > texture > light baking tool

3. select map type as subsurface scattering ( leave all defaults )

4. hit ok

bake_issue.jpg

"Bug" Retopo room: "Use visible paint objects as retopo" is buggy. All objects will be used as retopo, not the visible only...
So the sentence is a bit confusing. I would like to import the visible only or better: select the objects that have to be moved to the retopo room please.

By the way:

It would be very helpful to select which subobject have to be exported out of the paint room please. Not the whole scene.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Bug between UV Room and paint room with Vertice Normals

The problem : when I send my model into the UV Room, then change the UV Packing, 3DCoat recompute all my vertice normals to softedges ( which is not what I have sent into 3DCoat ).

May you fix this by realy locking models normals, binormals and tangents ? The "lock" button doesn't fix the issue.

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, netgoblin said:

is it a correct place to ask for a life-saving feature? ;)
plz, add 2 buttons to UV-room: align vertices/edges vertical and horizontal.

+1, That's one reason why I don't unwrapp UVs on 3DCoat but only pack them.

Being abble to align island to an edge like in 3dsmax could be nice too =) What could be nicer is to align every islands to a 90° position, instead of having to rotate them one by one

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, netgoblin said:

is it a correct place to ask for a life-saving feature? ;)
plz, add 2 buttons to UV-room: align vertices/edges vertical and horizontal.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but there are already Horizontal and Vertical alignment tools present in the UV Room, however you need to have the Mark Seams tool active and in Edges mode for them to be displayed. You can then select edges in the UV Preview window and align them horizontally/vertically.

3DCAlignEdgesTools.thumb.JPG.0596c05ac26727ef7e566d2f963560ab.JPG

They work the same as the Retopo Room versions (see video below).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fluffy said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but there are already Horizontal and Vertical alignment tools present in the UV Room, however you need to have the Mark Seams tool active and in Edges mode for them to be displayed. You can then select edges in the UV Preview window and align them horizontally/vertically.

3DCAlignEdgesTools.thumb.JPG.0596c05ac26727ef7e566d2f963560ab.JPG

This is exactly what I was hungry for! I think this mechanism needs to be applied to vertices as well.